The student news site of Melissa High School

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

[Opinion] How to enjoy summer in Texas

Wikimedia Commons

How to enjoy summer in Texas:

San Antonio River Walk

The San Antonio River Walk, also known as “Paseo del Rio,” offers a delightful array of activities and experiences. Whether you’re exploring the iconic downtown section or venturing further along its 15-mile urban waterway, there’s something for everyone:

Riverboat Cruise: Hop aboard a San Antonio Riverboat and take a scenic cruise along the river. Enjoy the picturesque views, learn about the history, and relax as you glide through the heart of the city12.

Ghost Tour: If you’re intrigued by the supernatural, consider joining a Ghost Tour. Explore the hidden corners and hear intriguing tales of San Antonio’s past. Who knows what mysteries await?

Tex-Mex Delights: Indulge in delicious Tex-Mex cuisine at the various restaurants and cafes lining the River Walk. From sizzling fajitas to mouthwatering enchiladas, your taste buds are in for a treat2.

Arneson River Theater: Catch a show at the Arneson River Theater, an open-air venue nestled along the riverbank. From concerts to theatrical performances, it’s a unique cultural experience

Surfside Beach

Rich Historical Background: Surfside Beach has a history dating back to the late 18th century. It’s a coastal gem with seven miles of stunning coastline along the Atlantic Ocean1.

Family-Friendly Atmosphere: This town is perfect for family vacations. Pristine beaches, lifeguards, and police supervision ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone.

Abundance of Outdoor Activities: From fishing to hiking, Surfside Beach offers plenty of outdoor adventures. Explore Myrtle Beach State Park, just 3 miles away, for a day of fun and relaxation3.

Delicious Local Cuisine: Don’t miss out on trying local dishes while you’re here. Surfside Beach has some tasty treats waiting for you.

Warm and Welcoming Community: The friendly locals make your visit even more memorable. Whether you’re strolling along the pier or attending festivals, you’ll feel right at home

Galveston beaches

When you’re in Galveston, there’s more to explore beyond the beaches. Here are some fun things to do:

Visit the Beach: Of course, the beaches are a must! Whether you’re sunbathing, swimming, or building sandcastles, the beach is the perfect place to unwind and enjoy the Gulf views.

Moody Gardens: Explore Moody Gardens, a unique complex featuring an aquarium, a rainforest pyramid, and a 3D theater. Get up close to marine life, tropical birds, and exotic plants1.

Historic Galveston Ghost Tour: Dive into Galveston’s intriguing history with a ghost tour. Walk the streets and hear tales of the city’s past—perfect for those who love a good mystery and a touch of the supernatural2.

Tour Galveston’s 1895 Moody Mansion: Step back in time with a guided tour of the Moody Mansion. Explore its grandeur, intricate woodwork, and stained glass windows. It’s a fascinating glimpse into Galveston’s Victorian era.

Bike Along the Seawall: Rent bikes and ride along Seawall Boulevard, which stretches for 10 miles along the Gulf. Enjoy ocean views, salty breezes, and the lively atmosphere.
Dolphin Sightseeing Tour: Hop on a boat and go in search of playful dolphins. Galveston’s waters are home to these delightful marine creatures, and spotting them is always a thrill5.

Explore the East End Lagoon Nature Preserve: If you’re a nature enthusiast, head to the East End Lagoon Nature Preserve. It’s a peaceful spot for birdwatching, hiking, and connecting with the outdoors5.

Galveston Fishing Pier: Drop a line at the Galveston Fishing Pier. Whether you’re an experienced angler or a beginner, it’s a great place to cast your reel and enjoy the coastal vibes

Rockport Beach

Blue Wave Beach: Rockport Beach proudly holds the title of Texas’s first Blue Wave Beach. This prestigious designation signifies that it’s a clean, well-maintained beach with swimmable waters, public restrooms, and handicap accessibility1.

White Sand and Blue Waters: Located on the Gulf of Mexico, Rockport Beach boasts white sand and crystal-clear blue waters. It’s an ideal spot for swimming, sunbathing, fishing, boating, and windsurfing2.

Big Blue Crab: Keep an eye out for the iconic Big Blue Crab sculpture. The original crab graced the area from 1957 to 1983, and a new one is making a comeback in 2021