The student news site of Melissa High School

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Melissa Theatre seniors to direct 10-minute shows

Senior+Cici+Allo+discusses+her+Senior+Direct+with+fellow+theatre+students.+
Korinne George
Senior Cici Allo discusses her Senior Direct with fellow theatre students.

This October, the Melissa Theatre seniors will present their chosen 10-minute shows. With last year’s senior directs having a great outcome, they will present them on stage instead of in the Black Box this year.

This year’s shows include “Grief Counseling” by Kaia Lyons (directed by seniors Lorelai Thompson and Cici Allo), “Baby’s First Existential Crisis” by Stephen Frutchman (directed by seniors Kolby Schulz and Hudson Ross), “1-800-DISS-GUYS” by Max Tachis (directed by seniors Riley Thornburg and Meagan Tubbs), and “Annnd Scene (Of the Crime)” by John Busser (directed by seniors Bailey Thornburg and Emerson Trevino).

“The start of senior directs has been really exciting,” senior Bailey Thornburg said. “I think I am most excited to see our show comes to life. The process of blocking and working on acting in shows is something that I’ve always loved as an actress, and being able to switch roles and become the director is really exciting and shines a whole new light on the process. I cannot wait to see the wonderful actors in my show grow and come to life on stage!”

One of the students, junior Alyssa Sabo was asked what she enjoys most about the experience.

“My favorite part of senior directs has been working with people I don’t normally get to work with,” Sabo said. “Especially last year, I was partnered with people I’ve never worked with. Your friends are your directors, so it’s a lot easier to go all out and have fun while learning and growing.”

In past years, each student who participated in senior directs was able to invite two people of their choice to watch the performances. Since last year’s senior directs were such a hit, they will now be presented to the public in the Performance Hall of the Melissa Arts Center on Thursday, Oct. 12.