The student news site of Melissa High School

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

MHS celebrates school spirit, deep roots with ‘Hometown Homecoming’

CADY Photography
Homecoming King D’Kedrion Abrams and Queen Josephine Miller are coronated during halftime at the varsity game against Greenville on Oct. 20. Also pictured are Homecoming Prince and Princess Elijah Njorge and Sofia Arteaga.

Homecoming week, also known as HOCO, is a big annual event for high schoolers and community members. The Cardinal family celebrated the week of Oct. 16-21 with festivities to honor their school pride and spirit and their deep roots. The theme selected by Student Council this year was “Hometown Homecoming.”

The highlight of the week was the coronation that took place during halftime on Friday night’s varsity game against Greenville. Seniors D’Kedrion Abrams and Josephine Miller were crowned Homecoming King and Queen respectively. Prince Elijah Njorge from Willow Wood Elementary and Princess Sofia Arteaga from North Creek Elementary presented them with their crowns and sashes.

Miller, better known as JoJo, says she felt paralyzed when she heard her name announced.

“I was so shocked that when my name was called, I didn’t even move,” Miller said. “My dad had to give me a shove and tell me to go.”

Abrams, or “Peanut” as he’s known, also did not expect this outcome.

“It was such a great experience, especially it being my first year [at Melissa],” Abrams said.

He mentioned that his best memory from the game was the support from his coaches and teammates.

“Coach Kiefer said I couldn’t come back to the locker room if I didn’t win Homecoming King,” Abrams said.

On Wednesday, Oct. 18, the community gathered outside the Championship Center for some tailgating prior to the annual homecoming parade. This year’s parade had a new route. Instead of cruising down Cardinal Drive in front of the old Cardinal Stadium on the north side of town, the parade began and ended behind the new Coach Kenny Deel Stadium. Former high school principal Kenneth Wooten, who now serves as the Executive Director of Campus Development, was the grand marshall of the parade. The full homecoming court was presented, followed by a long line of floats from athletic teams, organizations, and the community, all competing for the title of best float.

Right after the parade, the winners were recognized at the community pep rally held inside the stadium. Varsity football’s circus-themed float won the top prize with cross country coming in second place.

“My favorite part of Homecoming was the parade,” Miller said. “I loved seeing all the people I have known forever in the crowd and the cheer team supporting me from their float.”

Throughout the week, students dressed to show their spirit with the following themes: Monday – mathletes vs athletes, Tuesday – dynamic duos/characters, Wednesday – country vs country club, Thursday – decades, and Friday “Red Red.”

Sophomore Kate Garrett said her favorite dress-up day was country vs. country club.

“So many people dressed out!” Garrett said. “I think this dress-up day was easy and fun for everyone to participate in.”

Additionally, junior Grayson Dalby said his favorite day was dynamic duos/character day.

“I think I outdid myself with the alfalfa costume,” Dalby said.

The busy HOCO week culminated with a dance hosted by Student Council on Saturday. The dance was held outside in the courtyard as can be seen in the video below, courtesy of TheBatdrone. Students can view and purchase photos from the Photo Booth here.