Winter Olympics Jump Start Students

Getty Images

SOCHI, RUSSIA – FEBRUARY 19: Mist rises behind the Olympic Rings during day 12 of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics at Laura Cross-country Ski & Biathlon Center on February 19, 2014 in Sochi, Russia. (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)

Wilson Gustaveson, Design Editor

The Winter Olympics begin on Feb. 9, 2018, in PyeongChang, Korea. Countries from around the world will compete in this twice-a-decade event, including the good ol’ U.S. of A.

“My family and I have always enjoyed the Olympic Games,” Eli Tenney, freshman, said. “It is exciting, competitive, and we get to watch the U.S. crush any other team that tries to defeat us.”

Tenney is excited for the Olympics, but many students have their own personal preference about what it means to watch the Olympics. Which sports to watch seem to be the main topic of concern, and more importantly, who will win.

“[In the snowboarding competitions] I fully anticipate team Australia to take the gold,” Andrew Ifft, Junior, said. “Their skills are unmatched and I have never seen anybody snowboard like they can.”

In a recent poll taken during mega lunch, 76% of students prefer to watch the snowboarding competitions, as opposed to sports like figure skating, skiing, and speed skating. Snowboarding really is the king of the hill, (or half pipe).

“[Snowboarding] is the best Olympic sport,” Tenney said. “It amazes me, and the Olympics are always about being amazed.”