The student news site of Melissa High School

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Marvel’s ‘Spider-Man 2’ releases on Playstation 5

Insomniac Games inc.

Recently, a sequel to Insomniac’s Spider-Man video game series was released to much praise and love for the game. The game in question is Marvel’s Spider-Man 2, a direct sequel to the first two games in the franchise. The sequel promises new gameplay styles to the original games as well as a whole new story to follow up the previous two.

On Sept. 7, 2018, Insomniac Games released a new video game based on the superhero Spider-Man from Marvel Comics titled “Marvel’s Spider-Man.” When released, the game was a big hit with fans of the franchise and newcomers to Spider-Man and his world.

The game centers around Peter Parker as Spider-Man trying to stop the evil team of the Sinister 6, which is composed of Doctor Octopus, Mister Negative, Electro, Vulture, Rhino and Scorpion, while also having to mentor a new and upcoming Spider-Man. The game later went on to be dubbed “Game of the Year 2018.”

At the National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers Awards, the game received 21 nominations and went on to win three awards for Engineering; Game, Franchise Action; and Performance in a Drama, Supporting for Laura Bailey as Mary Jane Watson.

Eventually, on Nov. 12, 2020, a sequel to the game was released simply named “Spider-Man: Miles Morales.” This game was a sequel that followed the stand-alone story of Miles Morales, the secondary Spider-Man and close friend of Peter Parker, going on a new adventure of self-discovery and adapting to the responsibilities of being Spider-Man.

And recently, Oct. 20, 2023, marked the release of “Marvel’s Spider-Man 2” on PlayStation 5. The game is a new installment in the franchise that takes place right after the previous two games. Featuring both Peter Parker and Miles Morales, the game lets players swap between the two as Kraven the Hunter invades the city with a plan to free a bunch of supervillains and then hunt them for sport. Meanwhile, the alien symbiote behind Marvel’s Venom character lurks in the most unexpected places waiting to pounce.

The game has introduced new mechanics and new gameplay options, along with introducing the symbiote suit to Spider-Man (Peter Parker), which gives a new attack style to him, along with playing a major role in the story and character development of Peter Parker.

The game has gone on to become one of the most successful video games of 2023 and has been given an 8/10 by IGN and an overall rating of 91% worldwide. The game has recently made over $40 million and is on track to become the best Spider-Man video game ever.