The student news site of Melissa High School

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

[Review] ‘The Marvels’ flops at box office

Marvel Studios

Recently, on Nov. 10, a sequel to the Marvel Studios film “Captain Marvel (2019)” was released. The film, simply called “The Marvels (2023),” stars Brie Larson, Teyonah Parris and Iman Vellani. Many critics and Marvel fans have considered the film to be the worst film that the MCU has released thus far.

Reviewer Christy Lemire gave the movie a one and a half star rating.

“It brings me absolutely no joy to report that ‘The Marvels’ is terrible, and the worst film yet in the Marvel Cinematic Universe,” Lemire said. “The script from DaCosta and co-writers Megan McDonnell (“WandaVision”) and Elissa Karasik (“Loki”) is a mess as it tries to cram in all three characters’ stories, plus connect back to other MCU properties while also spinning this behemoth saga forward.”

Viewers definitely need to be familiar with Carol, Monica and Kamala’s previous movies and/or series, as well as “Secret Invasion” on Disney+ and some other content we won’t mention for fear of spoilers. In trying to juggle all of these elements, it never really finds a groove.

Not only have people disliked the movie, but it did not do well at the box office. “The Marvels” failed to crack the Top 5 during its third weekend in theaters, though it did perform slightly better than expected with a -37% drop to earn just $6.4 million. The movie has accumulated only $47 million since its debut, which may seem like a lot of money, but the movie cost over $273.8 million to make.

This means that the movie has lost over $226 million being a humongous loss of money for not just Marvel, but Disney as well since Disney owns the theatrical rights to Marvel movies. This means that Disney will lose a percentage of money, which won’t be good considering that their most recent film ”Wish” is not performing well at the box office either.

With the movie not being well received and it not even making back half of its budget, “The Marvels” is already on track to being the worst performing Marvel film since “The Incredible Hulk (2008).” Within the flops of more recent Marvel films like “Thor: Love and Thunder” and “Ant-Man and The Wasp QuantumMania,” it seems that Marvel will have a rougher year than in more recent history.