The student news site of Melissa High School

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

2024 Oscar nominations cause controversy

Patrick T. Fallon
Directors Daniel Scheinert and Daniel Kwan accept the Best Picture Oscar for their movie, “Everything Everywhere All at Once” at the 2023 Academy Awards Ceremony.

The 2024 Oscars nominations were released Tuesday and have already caused some controversy.

Many “Barbie” fans have made the claim that both Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie were snubbed in the nomination process. Gerwig and Robbie failed to make the Best Director and Best Actress list, respectively. However, Ryan Gosling earned a Best Supporting Actor nomination for his role of Ken.

Critics have also claimed this situation to be ironic considering the movie’s tagline:“She’s everything. He’s just Ken.”

“There is no Ken without Barbie, and there is no Barbie movie without Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie, the two people most responsible for this history-making, globally-celebrated film,” Gossling said in a statement. “To say that I’m disappointed that they are not nominated in their respective categories would be an understatement.”

On a more positive note, Justine Triet, director of “Anatomy of a Fall,” was nominated for Best Director, making her the 8th woman in Oscar history to receive a nomination for that category. Similarly, Cord Jefferson (“American Fiction”) and Celine Song (“Past Lives”) also made history in their own respect by receiving Best Picture nominations for their debut feature films.

Lily Gladstone became the first Native American to be nominated for Best Actress for her role in “Killers of the Flower Moon” while her co-star and former Oscar winner Leonardo DiCaprio did not receive any recognition.

The 2023 movie “Oppenheimer,” which is a story about the development of the atomic bomb, received the most nominations this year–13 in total–with “Poor Things” close behind with 11 nominations. Click here to view the full list of nominees.

The 96th Academy Awards will be held on March 10 at 6 p.m. CDT. To watch the ceremony, tune into ABC or any applicable streaming service such as Hulu Live TV or YoutubeTV.