The student news site of Melissa High School

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Powerlifters place on podium at state meets

Rachel Nelson
Senior Lorelai Thompson competes in deadlift at the Prosper Meet on Feb. 1. She went on to advance to the state meet where she finished in fifth place.

At the Texas Women’s High School Powerlifting Association’s (TWHSPA) State Meet held on March 16 at the Comerica Center in Frisco, senior Lorelai Thompson once again made it onto the podium with a fifth place finish in her weight class. She lifted a total of 1,025 pounds in the squat, bench press and deadlift categories. Click HERE to view the state meet results.

Throughout her high school career, Lorelai qualified for regionals all four years and medaled at state both her junior and senior years.

At the Texas High School Powerlifting Association’s (THSPA) State Meet held on March 23 in Abilene, junior Owen Hollenbeck also made it onto the podium with a fourth place finish in his weight class. Owen lifted a total of 1,745 pounds in the squat, bench press and deadlift categories.

Junior Jake Brown also qualified for the state meet and finished in 11th place overall in his weight class, lifting a total of 1,635 pounds.