The student news site of Melissa High School

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

[Editorial] Schools should not have 4-day weeks

Allison Shelley/The Verbatim Agency for American Education: Images of Teachers and Students in Action

In recent years, many schools have been considering a shift to a four-day school week to retain teachers in the education sector. While this may seem like a beneficial approach to address teacher retention issues, it raises concerns about the impact on students’ learning and overall well-being. Despite the potential advantages for educators, the shift to a four-day school week may not be in the best interest of students, and schools should maintain the traditional five-day week.

One of the primary arguments against the four-day school week is the potential adverse effects on students’ learning experiences. For instance, under the current system, students already face challenges in managing their time effectively and absorbing the substantial amount of information presented to them. With a shorter school week, students may be required to cram the same amount of material into fewer days, leading to increased stress and potentially impacting their ability to comprehend and retain information effectively.

Furthermore, the early morning start times and long school days already pose a significant challenge for many students. Waking up at 6:00 am for some to catch the school bus and then being expected to engage in learning activities for an extended period can be exhausting and detrimental to students’ overall well-being. A four-day school week could aggravate these challenges, leading to increased fatigue and reduced attentiveness during the limited school days.

While the idea of a four-day school week may hold appeal for some, it’s crucial to consider the potential drawbacks. Students’ educational experiences and well-being must remain at the forefront of any decision regarding school scheduling. Therefore, maintaining the traditional five-day school week appears to be the most beneficial option for students’ academic success and overall development.