The student news site of Melissa High School

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Brief: May 20-24

Junior Paisley Needham sends one to the outfield in a home game on April 5. The Lady Cards defeated Wakeland on May 16 in the regional semi-finals to advance to the next round of state playoffs.

Cardinal Update

• Congratulations to Lady Cardinal Softball for winning the regional semi-finals round of playoffs over Wakeland! They will next advance to the regional finals to face off with Forney. The series will be played at Lovejoy HS: Game 1, Tuesday @ 7 p.m.; Game 2, Thursday @ 7 p.m.; Game 3 (if needed), Saturday @ 1 p.m. Click HERE to buy tickets.
  • Congratulations to One Act Play for finishing in 5th place at the 5A state contest. Bailey Thornburg and Halle Heywood received All-Star Cast Awards, and Kolby Schulz and Avery Greene received Honorable Mention All-Star Cast Awards.
  • Congratulations to the Academic UIL State Medalists. Tyler Mathieson placed 1st in Computer Applications for the third consecutive year, scoring the highest score in 1A-6A. Ira Roy finished in 4th place in the same event. In Persuasive Speaking, Andrew Nager placed 2nd, and in Informative Speaking, Sarah Orejuela finished 5th and Lillian Nabors, 6th.
  • 5A STATE SECOND RUNNER-UP: With the combined points from the state medalists in Academics, Theatre, Film and Robotics, Melissa High School was named the 2024 5A UIL Academic State Second Runner-Up!
  • EXEMPTION & NON-EXEMPTION FORMS: Spring semester exams will be given to 9th-11th grade students May 24-30. Starting Monday, students may ask teachers to sign their forms for the exams they would like to exempt. Students not eligible for exemptions can still get parent permission for early dismissal May 24-30. All forms are due to the main office by Wednesday, May 22, complete with parent and teacher signatures.  Click HERE for more information and the exam schedule.
  • “SIT WITH US” MEETINGS: “Sit With Us” meetings provide parents/guardians with an opportunity to come together and discuss ideas, concerns, and potential solutions regarding matters at Melissa Schools. We firmly believe that Melissa parents are Cardinal Champions who see the best for not only their students but for all students. If it matters to one Cardinal, it matters to all Cardinals. For more information, visit www.melissaisd.org/sitwithus.
  • YEARBOOKS: If students have not picked up their yearbook yet, they need to stop by room A136 inside the library as soon as possible.
  • DIGITAL SAT ESSENTIALS COURSE: MHS has partnered with The Princeton Review to offer a Digital SAT Essentials Course, which runs July 13-Aug. 20 on Tuesdays from 5-8 p.m. Click HERE for more info. 
  • GRADUATION CAP APPROVAL: All graduation cap designs must be approved by May 27.  Seniors are only allowed to decorate the top of their mortarboard with either their post-high school plans or an inspirational quote. The designs and decorations should not dangle down the sides or stick up from the cap. Click HERE to access the graduation cap approval form. 
  • SENIOR ACTIVITIES: Senior events such as the Senior Walk and Class Picture, Senior Awards Ceremony, Senior Picnic and Graduation Rehearsal, and Graduation will take place the week of May 27-31. It is imperative that each senior attends every event. Click HERE to find out more information on each mandatory event.
  • IB INSIGHTS: The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) will launch in the fall of 2025. This year’s 9th graders will be our inaugural cohort! An IB education promotes international mindedness by encouraging students to explore global issues, perspectives, and cultures. At the same time, it respects and celebrates local, state, and national identities by incorporating them into the curriculum and encouraging students to engage with their own cultural heritage alongside their understanding of the world. For more information, email [email protected].

Upcoming Events

• May 21 – Band Concert – MAC – 7 p.m.
  • May 21 – Softball Regional Finals vs Forney @ Lovejoy HS – Game 1 – 7 p.m.
  • May 22 – Special Education “Sit With Us” Meeting – Crossland Learning Center (1904 Cooper St.) – 8:30 a.m.
  • May 23 – Community “Sit With Us” Meeting – Crossland Learning Center (1904 Cooper St.) – 6 p.m.
  • May 23 – Softball Regional Finals vs Forney @ Lovejoy HS – Game 2 – 7 p.m.
  • May 24Semester Exams (1st & 2nd periods)
  • May 24 – Cardinal Field Day – 12-4 p.m.
  • May 25 – Softball Regional Finals vs Forney @ Lovejoy HS – Game 3 (if needed) – 1 p.m.
  • May 25-27 – Choir State Solo & Ensemble
  • May 27 – Memorial Day – School Holiday
  • May 28 – Senior Walk at Elem. Campuses – 8:30 a.m.
  • May 28Semester Exams (3rd & 4th periods)
  • May 28 – 9th & 10th Grade Awards Ceremony – MAC – 12:30 p.m.
  • May 29Semester Exams (5th & 6th periods)
  • May 29 – 11th & 12th Grade Awards Ceremony – MAC – 12:30 p.m.
  • May 30Semester Exams (7th & 8th periods)
  • May 30 – Senior Picnic & Graduation Practice – 12 p.m.
  • May 31 – Graduation – Coach Kenny Deel Stadium – 8 p.m.