Band blows away expectations in Showcase

Mary Galbreth

Alexis Mayfield-McClure during her performance.

Brianne Finnell

The band showcased their first ever public performance of The Colony last Saturday, Sept 29.

According to the Head Band Director, Jerry Whorton, this was the band’s first ever annual showcase and it allowed citizens who usually wouldn’t be able to see the show support our students.

“The Band Showcase gave our students the opportunity to grow with musicianship and confidence.” Whorton said. ” And it was by far our best performance.”

Because this is the band’s state year, the directors really wanted The Colony to be unique and complex. So, this year, the band has brand new show uniforms, props, equipment, complex music, and difficult drill design.

“The degree of intricacy is at an all-time high,” Whorton comments.

On the night of the showcase, the Director of Bands at Red Oak High School, Steven Moss, gave additional instruction hours before the big performance. According to senior trombone, Caleb Fender, this clinic allowed them to have a clean performance and an excellent rehearsal.

“His information will help us tremendously from here on out,” Fender comments.

According to the Assistant Band Director, Aaron Dugger, to put out a show like this, the students have to rehearse 8 hours a week plus three weeks of band camp prior to the beginning of school.

On average, our students will have rehearsed a total of 1500 hours on this show since the beginning of the summer until our last performance,” Whorton said.

But, their hard work paid off with the surprising turn out of the audience at the showcase.

“The stands were almost as full as they are the night of a football game,” freshmen clarinet, Sydney Smith said.

To the students and directors, the turn out was way more than expected. Not only did students see their friends and family in the stands that came to support, but some performers even remember reuniting with some of the band’s former alumni.

“It was very encouraging,” sophomore baritone section leader, Rayven Hathorn comments. “It was nice to see how our hard work affects people we care about.”

This Saturday, Oct 6, the band will compete at their very first competition, Sounds of Fall, at Princeton. According to Dugger, the most important thing until then is “to learn from our mistakes and make a rapid recovery.