The student news site of Melissa High School

Melissa High student plays Taps to honor fallen veterans at elementary school

November 20, 2018

Brianne Finnell

Fifth grade students perform God Bless America at their HME veterans day concert.

On Thursday, November 15, Harry McKillop Elementary, HME,  held their annual veterans program. Every year, HME has a veterans program that the music teacher, Mrs. Fortune, organizes for the fifth-grade students to perform. Every year is special, solely because it’s the students of Melissa honoring our veterans; however,  this year was even more special, because senior Tyler Wilson, played “Taps” on his trumpet at the program.

“I was honored and grateful to do something to give back to the people who served our country,” Wilson said.

Wilson wants to go into the Marine Corps after high school, so it makes sense that this was a big deal for him. He said he wasn’t at all nervous to play in front of the students and teachers at HME, but he was quite nervous to play his trumpet for the program.

Brianne Finnell
Elementary school students sing and wave flags.

Even so, he was especially happy he was chosen to play to honor the veterans on this day.

“I was very emotional,” Wilson said. “I know that for some of them, they have more friends that are currently laid at rest rather than here at this program celebrating what they’ve accomplished.”

The program was also special in another way. During one of the songs, there was a student signing God Bless America in sign language. Harry McKillop Elementary has never showcased its deaf students nor have they ever done a song in American Sign Language or ASL. Last year, our school got an ASL program to add another language choice to our campus. The HME signing during the program aligns with the inclusivity that is spreading all over our school district.

Pullquote Photo

They did a beautiful job, and I look forward to having them as high school students in the coming years. I’m thankful to have elementary school teachers who plant seeds of love for learning languages.

— Jennifer Glory ASL teacher

North Creek Elementary not only had a young man who plans to join the military playing “Taps”, but they also included people to sign the songs that were sung. This allows veterans that may have become hearing impaired due to serving to be more included in their own service.

According to all the attendees, the songs that were performed were well-done, and Tyler Wilson did an amazing job honoring the veterans, and the student who signed were a welcomed addition. The memorial service was definitely a hit at Harry McKillop Elementary.

“The program was great,” Wilson said. “The kids did good and the fact that we had members of our armed services was amazing.”