Students comment on maintaining habits and resolutions

Reu'Niya Chatman

Reu’Niya Chatman
Students comment on new year’s resolutions

The New Year is a time for people to figure out what they are going to change or do better in the year to come.

Whether it be something as simple as being more social or something a little more heavy, for example, becoming a vegetarian. As we get ready to go into the New Year several students and teachers around campus have made resolutions. One of the many students who has made a resolution is sophomore Mylynn Huynh.

“Going into the New Year I want to start it off right by being healthy, so my resolution is to drink nothing but water for at least a month straight,” said Huynh.  

Coming up with the resolution is only half of the job. The other half is diligently working to maintain the goal. Not many people actually say that they achieved their New Year’s resolution. Actually, only about 8% of people follow through with their resolutions.

“When I decide on a resolution I typically follow through on it. If I don’t then I try to follow it for as long as I can as well as I can,” said Huynh.

Most people aren’t as diligent as Huynh; moreover, resolutions are infamous for being broken. People pick their least desirable trait and try to change it cold turkey, it’s seems bound to the fate of failure. For many students, this least desirable trait is their prowess in education. A lot of students struggle during the first semester just because they’re still trying to get used to it. So, going into the New Year Daisy wants to be more organized.

“I feel like if I’m more organized it’ll help me be more successful in the school year. I’ll be able to manage my work better and get things turned in on time,” said Daisy.  

Resolutions don’t always have to be big, the simple things are great too. In fact, simple things can have a great impact. English teacher, Dorothy DePaolo, is making a resolution that could be impactful but simple going into the future.

“I feel like I have a lot to be grateful for and I want to be appreciative, so my New Year’s Resolution is to be more grateful,” said DePaolo

Going into the New Year we all have a resolution or two, whether it be something big or something simple, just remember to make this upcoming year count.