Cross Country: Junior claims gold, sets new record

Abbie Chaloupka, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The girls and boys cross country teams competed in the Lovejoy Cross Country Fall Festival. The race was a 5k at Myers Park on Saturday, September 21. This festival has eight divisions\; varsity girls ran at 9:10 am and varsity boys ran at 9:40.

Both teams prepared and recovered for the festival with ice baths, rolling out, elevating their legs, and by doing training.

“When it came to preparing for this race specifically, I did a hard workout on Tuesday and some more steady runs in the days following,” junior Judson Greer said. “The day before the race, I got relaxed and got some good sleep.”

This was a very diverse course with a lot of different terrain. There were hills, bumps and small holes.

“The course was terrible because of all the hills,” sophomore Tori Tauch.

Despite the hills, Greer still took home the gold and set a new record on the Myers Park course.

“The race went well and it was a good day overall,” Greer said. “It is always nice to take a win and get a meet record.”

This race went very well and the girls team placed third overall. The boys team placed 11th overall in the festival.

“I think our team did well considering one of our top girls was injured, but I do wish that we placed second, but given the circumstances I think we did good together as a team,” Tauch said.
Although the teams did well at the festival, they still plan to improve throughout the season and in future meets.
“I hope to continue to improve throughout the season and have a good performance at the state meet as well as compete at a high level in the postseason,” Greer said.
The Cross Country district meet will be on October 17, 2019 at Old Celina Park. The meet will last all day.