Mariachi Cardinales holds first performance at elementary reading festival, more to come

Brianne Finnell

Megan Paul and Jaime Sweat play guitar before performing.

Brianne Finnell, Editor in Chief

On Thursday, Nov. 7, Mariachi Cardinales had their first public performance at the 2019 Melissa Elementary Reading Festival. The group performed throughout the event as entertainment at Harry McKillop Elementary while the guests ate, playing two songs: “Cielito Lindo” and “La Tortuga Verde.”

“It was a little rocky because it was our first performance, but I’m looking forward to improving more and continuing to perform around the community,” vihuela player and student leader Emma Piyakhun, senior, said.

The group was first created by Spanish teacher Annette Hernandez and Director of Bands Jerry Whorton. From there,

Brianne Finnell
Mariachi Cardinales performs at the Elementary Reading Festival.

the school purchased two vihuelas and two guitarróns, traditional mariachi instruments. Now, the group consists of 10 members, including trumpet, violin, guitar, vihuela, and guitarrón players. They rehearse every Wednesday B lunch and had a total of five practices to prepare for the festival.

“Ms. Hernandez dreamed this up last spring and confronted me about it towards the end of the school year,” Whorton said. “The rest is history.”

In February of 2020, the group will be the first ever mariachi group representing Melissa High School to compete at UIL Solo and Ensemble. If they receive a one rating, they will advance to the UIL State Mariachi Festival.

“I never thought that mariachi would be something Melissa dives into,” Whorton said. “But I’m looking forward to making history.”