Marching rivals take field as one for special halftime performance

North Lamer Band Facebook page

Larissa Ruthart

Brianne Finnell, Editor in Chief

After much rivalry in years past, the Melissa and North Lamar bands shared the field for the first time and prepared a special performance for the armed forces during halftime on Fri., Nov. 8. The performance included two songs, “Armed Forces Day” and “America the Beautiful,” and featured a 30-yard flag. The two groups had around 10 minutes before half time to rehearse together.

“There are very few sports and programs that can prepare in two different areas and combine nearly seamlessly,” Director of Bands Jerry Whorton said. “It was very exciting.”

Because it wasn’t a state year for both bands and their seasons had already ended, Whorton contacted the Associate Director of Bands at North Lamar, Jason Smith, about the idea. About a week later, the groups started rehearsing.

“We were looking for an opportunity to do something different and fun for the kids and I think the response from the crowd was extremely great,” Whorton said.

Afterwards, the bands met at the field goal and the students had the opportunity to meet students from another program.

“It was exciting to collaborate with another band,” junior Baritone Section Leader Rayven Hathorn said. “I also made a new friend from their band, so it was great.”