Track season starts strong but cut short

Abbie Chaloupka, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The track season kicked off on Feb. 27, with the Anna High School meet. Many Cardinals and Lady Cardinals set new personal records and the JV and varsity boys teams even got second place overall; the Lady Cards finished in fifth place.

On Sat., March 1, junior Judson Greer along with some other teammates competed at the Coppell Relays. Judson became the fastest high school runner in the US in the 3200m. He ran the distance with a time of 8:56.

The following week, March 5, the varsity boys became the champs of their own Melissa meet while the JV boys and girls and varsity girls all finished in second place. The varsity boys won gold in all three relays: 4×100, 4×200, and 4×400.

Many athletes were pleased with their first performances of the season.

“I performed well at the varsity level, and I hope to continue to break personal records and keep getting faster,” soph. Tristen Weaver said.

Several of the runners believe the team has excelled from last year and will continue to excel moving forward.

“I think that our team improved because we all got a refresh because we haven’t competed in a while,” junior Carson Ross said.

Overall, the opening meets were successes and the team will continue practicing and competing for the rest of the season to get faster and improve their times.

“The goal of the sport is to constantly get better,” freshman Maddison Aldredge. “I will keep training and hope to improve every meet.”

Unfortunately, due to the coronavirus pandemic, the season was put on a delay and might not continue. The University Interscholastic League (UIL) has suspended all activities until at least May 4.