Cardinals pay respect on Patriot Day in pre-game ceremony

The Batdrone

Rozleyn Brown, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Nineteen years have now passed since two hijacked planes crashed into the Twin Towers, known as the World Trade Center, in New York City. Not only were two planes flown into the towers, but a third collided with the Pentagon and a fourth plane, headed towards the White House, landed in a field in Pennsylvania. Some brave passengers gave up their lives to stop those hijackers from carrying out their plans.

Sadly, there were 2,977 counted deaths on this tragic day with more than 6,000 injured in the surrounding area. Among the four planes, there were a total of 265 deaths some of which were passengers, cabin crew members, pilots and the hijackers themselves. The majority of the deaths came from the attack on the Twin Towers–2,606 deaths from inside and from the surrounding area. The death count from the Pentagon attack was 125.

The first plane crashed into the 80th floor of the north tower, and the second plane crashed into the 60th floor of the south tower. Only 18 minutes passed between the hit of the north tower before the south tower was struck. Both fell to the ground after a total of 3 ½ hours with the south tower collapsing to the ground first.

Every year students at Melissa are taught about this somber day in history. Remembering this allows us to fully understand what happened. Like all things from history, we must remember history or else we are doomed to repeat it. This phrase is commonly used but not taken lightly. We have to go back and remember so that our future generations can prevent things like this from happening.

Our varsity football team paid their respects on the 19th anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001, at their recent game against Pottsboro. The Cardinals walked onto the field and each senior player carried a U.S. flag, making for a very moving ceremony.