COVID continues to haunt into Halloween season

Abbie Chaloupka, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Despite the current circumstances, Halloween season has officially kicked off. Many students will still be celebrating in COVID-friendly ways.

Some safe ideas include going to watch a drive-in movie. Drive-in theatres are making a comeback. There is one located in Ennis, just south of Dallas, called the Galaxy Drive-In Movie Theatre that follows social distancing guidelines.

However, some students are choosing to be COVID safe by staying home with a few friends.

“If we aren’t allowed to go around town, I’ll probably just have a bunch of friends over and watch scary movies,” freshman Hudson Ross said.

Many students are still dressing up to stay in the spooky spirit.

“I’m going to dress up as a vampire with fangs and everything,” junior Maddie Kuehler said.

Students are keeping up with their traditions this year while still taking precautions.

“I am celebrating Halloween with a few of my friends,” freshman Jojo Miller said. “A Halloween tradition that I have is roasting marshmallows around midnight with my neighbors in our backyard.”

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends reverse trick or treating for children. This is where kids sit in their front yards and cars drive by and toss candy rather than kids walking neighborhoods and ringing doorbells. The CDC also recommends parties stay outside with less people if possible.

The City of Melissa is allowing children to trick or treat with minimal restrictions, but they encourage trick or treaters to be responsible.