Homecoming 2020

Cardinal traditions continue despite COVID

Jaci Seale, Reporter

During halftime of the homecoming game against local rival Anna, Oct. 16, seniors Donnie Phillips and Kadyn King were crowned king and queen. Other senior members elected to the court were Parker Jack, Connor Sale, Thad Baker, Bryce Martin, Abbey Maldonado, Devy Vela, Kaylee Lewis and Tenley Tollefson. This year’s prince and princess were kindergarten students Josh Brown and Eve Doise, who assisted with the coronation.

The varsity football team went on to achieve a homecoming victory over the Anna Coyotes with a score of 50 to 14.

“The way I interpret this year’s homecoming game would be a great stepping stone for the future games ahead for Melissa and myself,” junior and running back Ashton Mitchell-Johnson said. “When you walk onto the field, I believe speaking for all the coaches and my fellow teammates, we want to make our community proud. Anna was an opposing force who helped us improve as a unit and individual players. We cannot wait to show what else is in store for this season!”

Through the week of October 12-16 students had an opportunity to be a hippie from the 70s with tie-dye attire, a crazy fan with team jerseys and show their Cardinal pride with spirit wear and mums.

Though there was some uncertainty as to whether the annual homecoming parade and pep rally could be held in light of the ongoing pandemic, the City of Melissa allowed both traditions to continue. The parade was held Wednesday, Oct. 14, and the community-wide pep rally followed in Cardinal Stadium.

“Watching the faces of both the students cheering fellow classmates and those in the homecoming court as they walked onto the field linked to their loved ones, made my heart happy,” Student Council sponsor Amy Tyner said. “Although I did not have the chance to sit down and scream along with the students, from all the memories I made behind the scenes, I am not afraid to say Homecoming 2020 was one for the books.”