Cardinals carry unique, creative names

carreg.co.uk

Rozleyn Brown, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Unique is one word that can define Melissa. But what makes Melissa even more unique is the creative names of MHS students. MHS is filled with different names that represent each student’s heritage and individuality.

Names come from all sorts of places. Some come from names of ancestors and others from works of art.

“My name comes from a painting,” sophomore Itzel Convento said. “My father named me after a painting at an art mural in Mexico. He fell in love with the name and decided to name me ‘Itzel.’”

Although you may find someone with the same name, both will have different meanings and importance.

“My name is unique because it’s not common and you wouldn’t hear it on a regular basis,” Itzel said. “I’ve only met one person with the same name as me, but she spells it differently.”

The names people are given will represent who they are for the rest of their lives. Some people decide to change their names because either they are doing it in remembrance of someone or it signifies something important to them.

“I would say creating a unique name allows for differentiation between others, but also for those that are not aware of a particular name in someone’s culture to be exposed to it,” math teacher Alicia Chavez said. “If it’s meaningful, then that makes all the difference because there is a unique and creative story behind the name of the child that no one will know unless asked.”