Murder – Suicide Hits Too Close to Home

Chloe Hockersmith, Reporter

This summer, in a quiet Collin County neighborhood on a Tuesday evening, a man, John Paul Gaynor, murdered Karen Ann Rolston before taking his own life.

Dallas Morning News states that Rolston, 33, was found with a gunshot wound to her upper chest and Gaynor, 41, was found with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head, which told the police that this case was a murder-suicide. The motive has still not been discovered and there is no background information provided about the couple.

According to Fox News, a friend of the couple did not hear from them since Sunday, which caused worry. They contacted the police to go check the house and when no one opened the door, they had to wait for a family friend who had a key. That key soon revealed two lifeless bodies.

When asking the Collin County Sheriff’s Office about this incident, they had no comment. Michael Groettum with the Melissa Police Department and his captain, Kyle Babcock, say, “We will not be able to answer anything related to the information of a mental/medical situation protected by HIPAA.” No other information was able to be released.

The Melissa Police Department and Collin County Sheriff’s Office are still investigating the case and are trying to discover more about this tragedy. Melissa is a rare place for a murder to occur, and people are still shocked that this happened. “It’s difficult when events like these happen so close to home. They can affect people dealing with other issues in sort of a ripple effect – even if we didn’t know the actual people involved.” Mrs. Stover, a high school counselor, says. We will never forget what took place that day, a day that people thought was no different from any other in Melissa, Texas.