Cardinal Brief: March 15-19

Melissa’s Coy DeFury (17) returns safely to second ahead of a throw to Parker Pecina (7) during a game against Howe High School on Saturday, March 6, 2021 in Van Alstyne. The Melissa Cardinals won the game 15-7. (Photo by Kevin Bartram/buzzphotos.com)

The last Cardinal Update was March 18, 2021, at 10:30 a.m. Check back daily for updates!

Cardinal Update

• Wrestling News: Last night our Cardinal Men’s Wrestling team faced off against Lovejoy and Whitesboro. They fell short to a tough Lovejoy team, but beat Whitesboro by a score of 53-15. Bryson Zufelt, Dylan Herrin, and Isaiah Hogan all had big wins and Blake Goehrig showed great promise in his Varsity outing. The varsity girls wrestling team wrestled against Anna, Whitesboro, and Lovejoy last night with Captain Ashley Vasquez going 2-0 pinning both in less than a minute with Sammy Brown adding another pin to her record making short work of Lovejoy’s wrestler, as well. Both wrestling teams will travel to Frisco Independence this Saturday at 10:00 where they will match up with Independence, Princeton, and Lubbock Estacado. Come out to support the teams and enjoy a great day of wrestling.
  • Congratulations to the following girls basketball players for earning District 9-4A Honors: Wendy Clemmons – District Offensive MVP; Jaydyn Bullard – District Defensive MVP; Mia Ellis – 1st Team All-District; Katie Sparks – 2nd Team All-District
  • Vote for Bryton Wright for DFW Player of the Week. She collected a school record 18 strikeouts in the Lady Cards’ victory over Celina Tuesday night. Voting ends Friday.
  • Juniors, the applications for Camp RYLA have arrived!  If you want to be considered for this incredible leadership opportunity, please see Ms. Stover in Room A210 for an application, which are due Fri., March 26. Only three juniors will be selected to attend Camp RYLA in early August. Aren’t sure what exactly Camp RYLA is about?  Check out their videos at www.RYLA5810.org.
  • Congratulations to the men’s and women’s golf teams! Both won the District 9-4A Preview Tournament @ WinStar Golf Club on Mon., March 15. The girls shot 346 with Lindsay Bauslaugh placing 2nd overall shooting 83 (PR). Leslie Bauslaugh also had a PR today. Sydney Norton and Allie Norton also had a great day placing in the top 5. The boys shot a new team low of 300 (and new school record) with Chandler Barch, Xavier Bighaus, and Walker Eanes sweeping the podium shooting 68, 69, and 77 respectively. The boys beat their own school record from the fall by 11 strokes. Jonah Tyner also had a PR today as well shooting 86. They are starting to peak at just the right time. District is only two weeks away.
  • Masks are now optional at Melissa Schools following the Executive Order GA-34 issued by Gov. Abbott. Click to read update posted on our school website.
  • Students will no longer ride a bus to the Cardinal Wing for those CTE classes. Several new portable buildings are located behind the gyms, and there are some new classrooms in the Melissa Arts Center (MAC).
  • Melissa Theatre’s Curtains musical will perform four shows this week March 18-20 in the new Melissa Arts Center (MAC). Click here for more info and link to purchase tickets.
  • Juniors & Seniors: This Friday, March 19, @ 4 p.m. is the deadline to register for the free SAT, which will be given here on campus April 13. Click here for more info and the registration form.
  • The Interact Club is collecting pillow cases through the end of this week. They will be partnering with the non-profit organization Little Dresses for Africa this Sat., March 20, so please drop off any extra pillow cases you have to Ms. Pinckney’s room A412. Thank you!
  • Seniors, the Melissa Education Foundation scholarship application is now open and the deadline to apply is March 26.
  • Seniors, we want to celebrate your future plans! Email your counselor a photo of you and your acceptance letter in order to be featured on the #Accepted Wall.
  • Melissa ISD is now offering an Onsite COVID-19 Testing Program. Click here to learn more.
  • Are you #DigitallyAware? Visit the district’s web site for the #DigitallyAware Social Media Toolkit.

Upcoming Events

• Track @ Prestonwood Christian Academy – March 18 @ 2 p.m.
  • Curtains performance – March 18 @ 7:30 p.m.
  • V Tennis@ Van Zandt – March 19 @ 8 a.m.
  • JV/V Baseball @ Gainesville – March 19 @ 5 p.m.
  • JV/V Softball @ Gainesville – March 19 @ 5 p.m.
  • JV Wrestling @ Princeton – March 19 @ 5 p.m.
  • Curtains performance – March 19 @ 7:30 p.m.
  • VB Soccer @ Celina – March 19 @ 5:30 p.m.
  • VG Soccer @ Celina – March 19 @ 7:15 p.m.
  • VG/B Wrestling @ Frisco Independence – March 20 @ 9 a.m.
  • JV/V Baseball vs Denison – March 20 @ 1 p.m.
  • Curtains performance – March 20 @ 2 p.m. & 7:30 p.m.
  • ASVAB Onsite Testing – March 23 – open to 10-12th grade students; complete this form if interested
  • SAT School Day – April 13
  • Blood Drive – April 14 – seniors need 3 donations to earn a cord for graduation
  • Prom – April 24 – more info coming soon!

Quick Links