Prom Debates

Rylee Owen, Staff Writer

Prom attendance has recently been questioned in Melissa High School. Some freshman have been saying that they are allowed to go to prom; this statement is false. Ms. Dotson was asked if freshmen were allowed to go, and if so, why? She said, “Freshmen are not allowed to go, unless an upperclassmen invites them as their date, therefore, we are keeping prom the same as every other year in the past.”

As this rumor was going around the school upperclassmen were getting very angry at the idea. Cindy Nevarez, a junior, was asked what she thought about the overall idea, she said “I think prom is something for upperclassmen, It would be fine if they had dates, but if not, they shouldn’t be allowed to go.” She was also asked if she would still go if they were allowed. She said “Probably not; they would just ruin it.” Most upperclassmen would agree with this statement, because most think freshmen are too immature for prom.

Prom is to celebrate the ending of the year, and the seniors and juniors. If administration allowed freshmen to go to prom it would defeat the purpose of the dance. The last person that was asked if he would go was Tyson Owen, a junior. He said, “No, I wouldn’t go, it ruins the tradition, and maturity of prom.” If freshmen did go to prom it would be very crowded, and boring. When freshmen go to dances most just sit in the corner and hangout. They would be taking up space, and bringing everyone’s mood down. Freshmen should never be allowed to prom, unless they are a date of an upperclassmen. Prom is made for upperclassmen and should stay that way. Prom is one of the most
memorable moments of high school, and it would be horrible if all the upperclassmen remembered was the freshmen going to the dance just to sit in the corner and watch.