Fighting the BIG Boys

Kayla Galbreth - Yadira Valdez, Collaboration

The Melissa High School Marching Band traveled to Denton Oct. 8 for a marching competition. They had a rough prelims performance, but they managed to see it through. After the other bands had performed it was time for retreat to see if what bands made finals. They announced “Sixth place… Is Melissa High School….”  The Melissa Marching Band made finals!

Some people in the band did not want to make finals, because it had already been such a long day and they did not want it to be an even longer day. “I did not want to make finals because I wanted to go and get some sleep.” Jenna Jones, sophomore of MHS. Other people wanted to go to finals because they wanted to see how well we would do against the bigger schools that made finals.  “I wanted to make finals to prove that we are stronger.” Breanna Palmer, sophomore of MHS.

The Melissa Marching Band performed third in finals. After the performance every director of the Melissa band told the band that the finals performance was the best performance that the band has done so far in the season. “That was a sexy performance!” Mr. Bayless, assistant director of MHS band. They did not care what place the band made after the finals retreat, all they cared about was that the band had improved so much from the prelims performance.

Finally retreat had started and announced that Melissa had made sixth place in finals. The band then headed back to Melissa after the retreat had finished so they would get some rest. On Monday, Oct. 10, at Mineola, the band made it to finals and achieved second overall, guard champions, best musicality, best marching and best visual performance.

This past weekend, the band competed again in Denton for UIL Area Competition to see if they get to advance to State or not. Please check back soon for the updated results!