‘Peering’ into a Bright Future

Aubrey Grantham, Reporter

Being a peer helper does not only help special needs students, but the helpers themselves. A peer helper is someone who is paired with an intellectual disability student and is to be their friend and role model that year.  The atmosphere has drastically changed the past year in the Melissa High School gym. From being an elective for only seniors to opening up to all grades has changed not only the students’ life, but opened up new experiences for the student helpers too. The past years the class has been a senior only elective and were not assigned to a student, therefore the helpers did not feel obligated to help. If a helper was in a good mood they would play basketball with them, but as soon as the student started misbehaving they made sure to stay away.

This has changed this year since ¨the student helpers are in the class for the right purpose” said counselor Mrs. Stover. The class opened at the beginning of this year and to get in a person who was interested had to fill out an application and would know as soon as possible.

The class is still open to new helpers that would make a lasting impact on the student’s life. To be accepted in the class all they have to do is fill out an application and know it would come with a possible schedule change due to the class being only in sixth period. With each student one or two peers are assigned to motivate and provide guidance for their particular person. It is amazing to see how each pair has affected each other in a positive way in just a few weeks.

¨The future has so much potential for growth and I hope that the current peers continue to spread the word based on their positive experience¨ said Special Needs teacher Mrs. Andrews. The future looks bright and life changing for the Melissa High School Special Needs class and the student body.