Cardinal Brief: April 19-23

London Tegerdine

The one act play cast and crew pose for a group photo. The troupe performed “Arabian Nights” this year and competed at regionals on April 15 at Lindale High School. They were named alternate to state.

The last Cardinal Update was April 20, 2021, at 10:30 a.m. Check back daily for updates!

Cardinal Update

• Spirit Day at Chick-fil-A! Eat at Chick-fil-A in Anna between 5 and 8 p.m. TONIGHT and help earn funds for our PTO.
  • Congratulations to our Cardinals of the Week. Sophomore Leighton Gutierrez is the student of the week, and Coach Jacob Arvin is the teacher of the week. Click here to read more.
  • Congratulations to senior Judson Greer for being named the Gatorade Texas Player of the Year. Click here to read more.
  • HOSA is collecting books for Children’s Medical Center through this Friday. Students should turn the books into their English teacher. The winning class will receive donuts!
  • Softball playoff T-shirts can be ordered through this Friday. Click here to print the order form and return it with payment to Coach Rodgers or Coach Brakebill by April 23 at noon.  The shirt will be a short sleeve Comfort Colors brand and graphite in color.
  • Any students 16 or older interested in receiving the Pfizer COVID vaccine, click here for more info.
  • Congratulations to three Cardinals for qualifying for state in Academic UIL. Logan Lowery was first in Prose Interpretation. In Computer Applications, Daria Stepanovia finished in second place, and Tyler Mathieson, third place.
  • Congratulations and good luck to the varsity golf teams who will compete at the regional tournament April 19-20. Click here to read more.
  • Congratulations and good luck to varsity tennis as they compete at the regional tournament next week, April 26-27. Click here to read more.
  • Congratulations to several high school students and faculty members who received Cardinal Commendations at the school board meeting April 12. Student recipients were freshman Alexis Ware and seniors London Tegerdine and Raegan Knight. Faculty members were Hallie Venner, Adrianna Iennusa, Ryan Smith, Brittany Rosch, and Pete List. (View the photo below.)
  • Prom will be held Sat., April 24 at THE SPRINGS Event Venue in Anna with a Great Gatsby theme. Click here for more info.
  • Color Guard will host clinics on April 27-28 and auditions on April 29, open to any MHS student. Click here to learn more and sign up.
  • Yearbook Sales will end on April 30. The price is $70 with no personalization option. Limited quantity remaining! Purchase online through Balfour.com.
  • The Melissa Education Foundation (MEF) will host its 10th Annual Give Them Wings Co-Ed Softball Tournament on May 22 at the Zadow Park Ballfields. Click here to learn more and to register. All players must be 14 years of age or older and teams must consist of five men and five women.
  • The next driver’s ed class will start on May 10 and there are only a limited number of spots. Students can sign up in the main office on the first floor.
  • Seniors: We want to celebrate your future plans! Email your counselor a photo of you and your acceptance letter in order to be featured on the #Accepted Wall.
Several high school students and staff members receive Cardinal Commendations at the school board meeting on April 12. Front row, L to R: Alexis Ware, London Tegerdine, Raegan Knight, Adrianna Iennusa, and Ryan Smith. Back row: Jerry Whorton, Kenneth Wooten, Debra Arvin, Rachel Nelson, Hallie Venner, Manny Avila, Pete List, Brittany Rosch, and Stacy Needham.

Upcoming Events

• VGB Golf – Regional Tourn. – April 19-20 @ Van Zandt Country Club
  • JV Tennis – District Tourn. – April 20 @ Anna
  • JV/V Baseball @ Van Alstyne – April 20 @ 5 p.m. & 7:30 p.m.
  • Softball vs Van Alstyne – April 20 @ 6:30 p.m.
  • VGB Track – Regionals @ TAMU-Commerce – April 22
  • Letter Jacket Fittings – April 23 @ 10 a.m. to noon – Student Union
  • Softball @ Aubrey – April 23 @ 5 p.m.
  • JV/V Baseball @ Aubrey – April 23 @ 5 p.m. & 7:30 p.m.
  • Prom – April 24
  • Color Guard Clinics – April 27 & 28 @ 4:30 p.m.
  • Color Guard Auditions – April 29 @  4:30 p.m.
  • Melissa ISD Bond Election – May 1 – Visit melissaisdbond.com to learn more
  • Driver’s Ed begins – May 10 – signup in the main office
  • MEF Softball Tournament – May 22 @ Z-Plex
  • Bad Weather Makeup Day (Last Day of School) – May 27
  • Graduation – May 27 @ 8 p.m. – Allen Events Center

Quick Links