Academic UIL Regional Results

Three Cardinals advance to state

Academic UIL Regional Results

dribble.com

Kendall Meziere-Abbott, Reporter

Last weekend, students competed in the 4A Region II UIL Academic Meet at Lindale High School. Three students are advancing to the state competition, and several other students placed highly at the regional contest. The results are listed below:

Computer Applications 

• 2nd – Daria Stepanovia*
  • 3rd – Tyler Mathieson*
  • 4th – Rachel Tierney

Informative Extemporaneous Speaking

• 5th – Anna Gressett
  • 6th – Rachel Adejokun

Persuasive Extemporaneous Speaking

• 5th – Connor Sale

Prose Interpretation

• 1st – Logan Lowery*

*advancing to state

Junior Logan Lowery placed first place at the regional meet in the Prose Interpretation event, becoming the regional champion.

“Prose interpretation is essentially a 7-minute collection of poems that analyze the world around us and how it shapes our lives,” Lowery said. “I’ve gotten to work really hard over the past few months to create a really beautiful piece and I am so excited to represent our school at the state competition.”

This year, the state competition will be divided into local “hubs” or conducted virtually due to the ongoing pandemic rather than being held at the University of Texas in Austin where the University Interscholastic League (UIL) is headquartered. This is an effort to not have so many students in one place all at once in order to protect them and the staff.

The two students that advanced to state in Computer Applications, Daria Stepanovia and Tyler Mathieson, will be competing at Princeton High School on May 1.

Logan Lowery, who advanced in Prose Interpretation, will be competing May 25-26, in a virtual format.