Seniors bring back fun game to end year

Stay Strap'd

Abbie Chaloupka, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Seniors this year are bringing back the tradition of the “senior assassin” game. Students in the past have played, but the game has been dormant for some years.

Every week the participating seniors, who each had to pay a $10 entry fee, are sent a person they need to “assassinate” with their water gun. Students are safe, or have immunity, while they are wearing floaties and while they are in school, at work, or at church. The game was created from a hybrid of rules from different games.

“I heard about it from a friend who was doing it at her school,” the organizer of the game said. “It looked like fun and a great way to bring the senior class together. I started looking into the rules and different versions from many high schools and came up with my own hybrid version.”

As previously mentioned, the players receive their weekly assignment to assassinate another player and if they fail, they are out of the game.

“I told everyone who their targets were but no one knew who was after them,” the organizer said. “Then at the end of the week I would make a new random list with the remaining players.”

Many students have been going to their target’s house or use the school parking lot as the main playing field; however, the game is NOT associated with Melissa ISD in any way.

“The game started out with 50 players,” the organizer said. “ I gave each of them their target at the beginning of the week, and as the week went on, people would shoot their targets.”

The game has dwindled down to only two players who will compete in a duel to determine the winner.

“I’ve talked to the remaining two players, and they have decided to end the game with a duel,” the organizer said. “They will stand back to back, walk away from each other, and when told to do so, they will turn, face each other, and shoot. I am thinking I will give them some sort of shirt with a target on it, and whoever hits closest to the bullseye gets the $400 cash prize.”

In order to keep up with the game, the Instagram page ‘melissaseniorassassin’ posts videos of the attacks. If a player doesn’t submit video proof of a “hit,” then he or she doesn’t get credit.