Cardinal Brief: May 10-14

Akemi Steiner

CTE teachers Tom Kyle and Dustin Clark provide live music on Thursdays to greet students at one of the doors.

The last Cardinal Update was May 13, 2021, at 8:30 a.m. Check back daily for updates!

Cardinal Update

• Congratulations and good luck to the varsity softball team! They are Area Champs with a 12-1 victory over Hillsboro. They will now advance to the regional quarterfinal round against district rival Aubrey. The game will be held Thurs., May 13 @ 6:30 p.m. at Celina High School. Click here to purchase tickets.
  • Congratulations to the varsity baseball team! They became Bi-District Champs on Saturday with two wins out of a series against Midlothian Heritage. They will now advance to the area round. They will play Alvarado in a series Fri., May 14 @ 7 p.m. at Duncanville and Sat., May 15 @ 11 a.m. with game three following if needed. Click here to view the UIL Playoff Bracket.
  • Football Banquet invitations were sent via school email on Monday.  All varsity football players please RSVP and fill out the Google Doc to reserve your seat at the banquet, which will be held in the Student Union on Monday, May 17 at 6:30 p.m.  If you have any questions, please contact Coach Nally.
  • STUCO Officer Election: On Friday, May 14, students will receive an email from Mrs. Tyner. Please take the time to vote for your 2021-2022 Student Council President and Vice-President. Avery Smith is running for Vice-President. Maddie Pickett and Ta’Varia McQueen are running for President.
  • Final Exams (May 24-27) information was sent out through Mr. Wooten’s Remind account yesterday. Click here to access those three documents: Letter to Parents, Exemption Criteria, and Exam Schedule.
  • Congratulations to girls golf who finished in 5th place at the 4A state golf tournament! Senior Allie Norton finished in 6th place individually.
  • Congratulations to varsity girls track! With only two runners, they finished in 3rd place overall at the 4A State Meet. Senior Kaylee Lewis won the gold medal in the 200m dash and silver medal in the 100m dash. Soph. Abigail Bass won the silver medal in the 3200m run and the bronze medal in the 1600m run. View the complete results here.
  • Congratulations to varsity boys track! Senior Lucas Tauch medaled at the state track meet with third place in the 3200m run. He finished 7th in the 1600m. Junior Ryan Johnson won 6th place in high jump. Senior Carlos Branch also competed in the 200m dash.
  • Congratulations to freshman Victoria Majdan and her McKinney Lacrosse team for their state championship! Click here to read more.
  • Congratulations to our state art finalists: Clayton Vaughan (medaling in 2 pieces of art), Tori Tauch, Nate Ifft and Caylen Allen. View their artwork here.
  • Congratulations to freshman Tyler Mathieson for placing 2nd in Computer Applications at the 4A Academic UIL State Meet. Click here to learn more.
  • Congratulations to Melissa Theatre! They received notice of 12 award nominations in the Dallas Summer Musicals (DSM) program including Best Musical. These award nominations are for their recent performances of Curtains. Click here for more info.
  • Auditions are coming up for next year’s theatre production class and for the 2021 fall musical. For more information or for audition packets, email Ms. Moore at [email protected] or stop by the Black Box before or after school.
  • All students: Are you interested in participating in a summer program to gain experience with Artificial Intelligence (AI)? Click here to learn more and apply by May 20.
  • Seniors: You can click here for an updated version of Class of 2021 Information and a Calendar of Events.
  • Seniors: We want to celebrate your future plans! Email your counselor a photo of you and your acceptance letter in order to be featured on the #Accepted Wall.
  • 9-11th grade students: Check your 2021-22 course selections in the Ascender Student Portal. Click here for more info. If you need to request a course change, then complete this Google form. All course changes need to be requested by May 21. No changes will be made in August!
  • The Cardinal 1st Annual Field Day, sponsored by STUCO, will be held Fri., May 21. There are lots of fun activities planned. Students, click here to signup for events.
  • The Melissa Education Foundation (MEF) will host its 10th Annual Give Them Wings Co-Ed Softball Tournament on May 22 at the Zadow Park Ballfields. Click here to learn more and to register. All players must be 14 years of age or older and teams must consist of five men and five women.
  • Any students 16 or older interested in receiving the Pfizer COVID vaccine, click here for more info.
  • Watch the video below if you’re interested in being part of the yearbook or Banner News staff next year!

Upcoming Events

• Hawaiian Shirt Days – May 13, 20 & 27
  • Softball – Regional Quarterfinals vs Aubrey – May 13 @ 6:30 p.m. at Celina HS – Click here to purchase tickets.
  • Baseball – Area vs Alvarado – May 14 @ 7 p.m. at Duncanville & May 15 @ 11 a.m. (with game 3 following if needed)
  • Boys State Golf Tourn. – May 17-18 @ Plum Creek Golf Course, Kyle
  • 1st Annual MHS Field Day – May 21
  • Melissa Theatre’s OAP performance – May 21 @ 7 p.m.
  • MEF Softball Tournament – May 22 @ Z-Plex
  • Final Exams – May 24-27
  • Bad Weather Makeup Day (Last Day of School) – May 27
  • Graduation – May 27 @ 8 p.m. – Allen Events Center

Quick Links