Cardinal Brief: May 17-21

Several seniors, who are Interact Club members, receive a scholarship from the Rotary Club at the annual Melissa Education Foundation (MEF) Awards Ceremony held on Tuesday, May 11.

The last Cardinal Update was May 17, 2021, at 9:30 a.m. Check back daily for updates!

Cardinal Update

• Congratulations to the varsity baseball team who swept Alvarado Friday and Saturday to become area champs! They will now advance to the regional quarterfinal round. Good luck, Cardinals!
  • Congratulations to your new 2021-22 Student Council President, Maddie Pickett and Vice-President Avery SmithThank you to our current Student Council President Kadyn King, Vice-President Bryce Martin, Treasurer Paityn Garlington, Parliamentarian Devy Vela, Historian London Tegerdine and Secretary Ximena Buhr for a great year. 
  • Yearbooks will be distributed on Tuesday, May 18, during 4th period. Students may pick up their books in or outside the Student Union during their lunch period. A limited number of extra books are available for purchase for $70, cash or check (made payable to MHS) ONLY! (The staff cannot process a card.)
  • The 1st Annual Field Day will be held Friday, May 21! The event, sponsored by STUCO, “will be epic” in the words of Senor G, so come out and celebrate the end of this school year. Click here for the SignUp Genius, which shows the schedule of events, and sign up for any empty slots. Classes will be in competition with one another.
  • Final Exams will be next week, May 24-27. Information was sent out through Mr. Wooten’s Remind account last week. Click here to access those three documents: Letter to Parents, Exemption Criteria, and Exam Schedule. Students should receive exemption forms from their English teacher. Students STILL need to log in/out of Schoology DAILY for attendance purposes whether they are physically on campus or not!
  • VOE Request: Any students who plan to take their driving test over the summer need to request a Verification of Enrollment (VOE) form by May 24. Click here for more info and the link to the form.
  • Congratulations to girls golf who finished in 5th place at the 4A state golf tournament! Senior Allie Norton finished in 6th place individually. Good luck to the boys team as they compete at the state tournament this week.
  • Congratulations to junior Taylor Hendrickson for becoming the TOP scorer in the STATE in Cosmetology! Click to read more.
  • Auditions are coming up for next year’s theatre production class and for the 2021 fall musical. For more information or for audition packets, email Ms. Moore at [email protected] or stop by the Black Box before or after school.
  • All students: Are you interested in participating in a summer program to gain experience with Artificial Intelligence (AI)? Click here to learn more and apply by May 20.
  • Seniors: You can click here for an updated version of Class of 2021 Information and a Calendar of Events.
  • Seniors: We want to celebrate your future plans! Email your counselor a photo of you and your acceptance letter in order to be featured on the #Accepted Wall.
  • MEF Scholarships: Click here to visit the Melissa Education Foundation website and view photos from the scholarship awards night on May 11.
  • 9-11th grade students: Check your 2021-22 course selections in the Ascender Student Portal. Click here for more info. If you need to request a course change, then complete this Google form. All course changes need to be requested by May 21. No changes will be made in August!
  • The Melissa Education Foundation (MEF) will host its 10th Annual Give Them Wings Co-Ed Softball Tournament on May 22 at the Zadow Park Ballfields. Click here to learn more and to register. All players must be 14 years of age or older and teams must consist of five men and five women.
  • Any students 16 or older interested in receiving the Pfizer COVID vaccine, click here for more info.
  • Watch the video below if you’re interested in being part of the yearbook or Banner News staff next year!

Upcoming Events

• Hawaiian Shirt Days – May 20 & 27
  • Boys State Golf Tourn. – May 17-18 @ Plum Creek Golf Course, Kyle
  • 1st Annual MHS Field Day – May 21
  • Melissa Theatre’s OAP performance – May 21 @ 7 p.m.
  • MEF Softball Tournament – May 22 @ Z-Plex
  • Final Exams – May 24-27
  • Bad Weather Makeup Day (Last Day of School) – May 27
  • Graduation – May 27 @ 8 p.m. – Allen Events Center

Quick Links