MHS XC Boys Place First in Regionals for The First Time Ever

Ty Graham, Editor

Playing in a state championship is the pinnacle of athletic achievement for every high school student-athlete. If any person can say they earned the right to compete in their respective state tournament, they have proven they are both legitimate athletes and also have also brought success to their school.

In the sport of cross-country, advancing to state is very difficult because team points are awarded by the places in which each team member earned. For instance, if the runners on a team place 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, then their team score would be 28. For this reason, it is a huge accomplishment for an entire team to make it to state, because everyone has to run well.

There stands a great tradition at the class II Region 4A cross-country course which is located at Lynn Creek Park is located at 5610 Lake Ridge Parkway, along the shore of Joe Pool Lake. After teams finish their race, they will gather at a pavilion on the opposite end of the beach to hear the results of both individuals and teams. After the winning team stands on the stage to receive their medals, and take mandatory pictures for mom, they will promptly drop their things down and go jump in the lake.

The Regional champions cross-country team includes Elijah Mackey, Jack Clemans and Zachary Weaver, who are all seniors. Jackson Scribner, Blake Chaloupka are sophomores, and Dain Miller and Ty Graham are juniors. Last year this group was able to advance to state as a team for the first time in Melissa High School history, but felt they were not able to run as well as they could have.

Watch for this team to have a huge performance at the state meet, which will is on September 12, at 9:00 at Old Settlers Park, Round Rock.