Cardinal Brief: Oct. 4-8

Noella Rurangira

The crowd goes wild during Coach Nally’s motivational speech to prepare for the district match with Argyle on Oct. 1. This was the first pep rally held on campus in 602 days.

Abbie Chaloupka, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The last Cardinal Update was Oct. 5, 2021, at 12 p.m. Check back daily for updates!

Cardinal Update

• Congratulations to senior Chau Hua for receiving recognition in the National Merit Scholarship Program. Click here to read more.
  • If you would like to buy some Cardinal spirit wear, the basketball program has a team shop open now until Oct. 12. Check it out here.
  • ATTN: Juniors & Seniors – If you would like to order a class ring and/or cap & gown, Balfour will be on campus Oct. 5 & 6 set up in the MAC to assist you. Click here for more info and a QR code to scan.
  • Student Council will sponsor a Blood Drive on Oct. 6. Click here for more info. If you are 18 or older, you can sign up using this link. Use melissahs as your sponsor code. If you are younger than 18, stop by Mrs. Tyner’s classroom to signup for a time to donate blood.
  • Police will begin issuing tickets this week to any student drivers who have not purchased a parking permit. Click here to purchase a permit online. See Mrs. Malone in the front office if you need to pay cash.
  • Tickets for Melissa Theatre’s fall musical called “Nice Work If You Can Get It” are now on sale. Click here for more info.
  • Seniors interested in taking the SAT for free on Oct. 28,  click here to learn more and register. The deadline to register is Oct. 15.
  • FCA will be attending Fields of Faith at Frisco Kykendall Stadium on Sunday, Oct. 17 at 6 p.m. Anyone interested in going should see Coach Avila, Coach Van Horn, or Coach Byford to get signed up. The event is free to attend, but the coaches need a head count to arrange transportation.
  • Homecoming Week will be Oct. 18-22. Dress-up Days are listed in the upcoming events below. Tailgating will be on Wed., Oct. 20 starting at 5 p.m. followed by the parade at 6:30 and then the pep rally at Cardinal Stadium. Click here to register a parade float. The game against Ranchview will take place on Fri., Oct. 22 at 7:30 p.m. where the king and queen will be crowned at halftime. Click here to visit the Homecoming Week web page.
  • Throughout the month of October, Interact Club is collecting gently used or new coats and jackets for families in Melissa, Anna, and surrounding Collin County communities. A drop off box is located outside Mrs. Pinckney’s classroom, A316.
  • October is Cybersecurity Awareness Month. Click here to view Gov. Abbott’s proclamation and visit the Texas Department of Information Resources website to view activities, events and contests to enter such as a PSA, defender card, and poster contests.

Upcoming Events

• Oct. 5 – Varsity Tennis vs Anna – 4 p.m.
  • Oct. 5 – JV & Varsity Volleyball vs Celina – 5 & 6 p.m.
  • Oct. 6 – Blood Drive – 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
  • Oct. 7 – JV Tennis vs Anna – 4 p.m.
  • Oct. 11 – Fair Day – School Holiday
  • Oct. 13 – PSAT/NMSQT
  • Oct. 14 – Fall Choir Concert – Melissa Arts Center (MAC) – 7 p.m.
  • Oct. 16 – Cardinal Autumn Classic (Speech & Debate only)
  • Oct. 17 – FCA – Fields of Faith @ Frisco Kykendall Stadium – 6 p.m.
  • Oct. 18-22 – Homecoming Week:
    • Monday – Tacky Tourist Day
    • Tuesday – Decades Day (Seniors – 2000s, Juniors – 70s, Sophomores – 80s, Freshmen – 90s)
    • Wednesday – Jersey Day
    • Thursday – Country Western vs Country Club Day
    • Friday – Spirit Day
  • Oct. 20 – Homecoming Tailgate, Parade & Pep Rally – 5 & 6:30 p.m.
  • Oct. 22 – Homecoming Game & Coronation – 7:30 p.m.
  • Oct. 27 – Picture Retakes
  • Oct. 28 – SAT School Day

Quick Links