Cardinal Brief Oct. 11-15

Kolby Schulz

Sophomore Nate Adejokun (21) runs the ball down the field during last Friday’s district game against Argyle. The Cardinals shut out the Eagles, 21-0.

Abbie Chaloupka, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The last Cardinal Update was Oct. 13, 2021, at 8:45 a.m. Check back daily for updates!

Cardinal Update

• Congratulations to Melissa High School Bass Fishing! The 16 members (eight teams) competed in their first tournament of the season at Lake Texoma on Oct. 2. Out of 207 boats, MHS had four teams in the top 20, and they finished second for overall weight! Visit their Facebook page for more info or to follow them.
  • Mega Lunch begins Tuesday, Oct. 12. The extended lunch period will be from 10:45 until 11:50 a.m. daily. Students are expected to attend a tutorial/academic session or a club/organization meeting during one of the 30-minute sessions each day. Click here to view the master schedule.
  • The choirs of Melissa High School and Melissa Middle School will present their fall concert on Thursday, Oct. 14, performing at 7:00 p.m. at the Melissa Arts Center, located at 3030 Milrany Ln. Admission is free. We hope to see you there!
  • Seniors interested in taking the SAT for free on Oct. 28,  click here to learn more and register. The deadline to register is Oct. 15.
  • FCA will be attending Fields of Faith at Frisco Kykendall Stadium on Sunday, Oct. 17 at 6 p.m. Anyone interested in going should see Coach Avila, Coach Van Horn, or Coach Byford to get signed up. The event is free to attend, but the coaches need a headcount to arrange transportation.
  • Homecoming Week will be Oct. 18-22. Dress-up Days are listed in the upcoming events below. Tailgating will be on Wed., Oct. 20 starting at 5 p.m. followed by the parade at 6:30 and then the pep rally at Cardinal Stadium. Click here to register a parade float. The game against Ranchview will take place on Fri., Oct. 22 at 7:30 p.m. where the king and queen will be crowned at halftime. Click here to visit the Homecoming Week web page.
  • Tickets for Melissa Theatre’s fall musical called “Nice Work If You Can Get It” are now on sale. Click here for more info.
  • Throughout the month of October, Interact Club is collecting gently used or new coats and jackets for families in Melissa, Anna, and surrounding Collin County communities. A drop-off box is located outside Mrs. Pinckney’s classroom, A316.
  • Yearbooks are still on sale. The price is now $60 through Nov. 30. Visit balfour.com to order online, or see Ms. Nelson in Room #A136.
  • Senior Ads are available for purchase through Nov. 30. Visit balfour.com to order online, or see Ms. Nelson in Room #A136. Click here for prices and more info.
  • ATTN: Seniors – You received an email from Ms. Stephens regarding the FAFSA. If you are NOT going to complete the FAFSA, then you MUST complete the Opt-Out Form per TEA guidelines. Pick up and return forms to the counseling office A210.
  • The Melissa Education Foundation (MEF) will host a Community Playoff Tailgate on Saturday, Nov. 6 starting at 5 p.m. in Symmetry Plaza at the high school. Click here for more info.
Members of the Melissa High School Bass Fishing Team pose with some of their catches. The team won 2nd place in overall weight at the Lake Texoma tournament on Oct. 2. (Leslie Wistl)

Upcoming Events

• Oct. 12 – JV & Varsity Volleyball vs Sanger – 5 & 6 p.m.
  • Oct. 13 – PSAT/NMSQT
  • Oct. 14 – JV & Varsity Cross Country – District @ Celina- 7 a.m.
  • Oct. 14 – Varsity Tennis vs Midlothian Heritage – Area @ Rockwall
  • Oct. 14 – Freshman football vs Celina- 5 p.m.
  • Oct. 14 – Freshman Red vs Frisco Lone Star – 6 p.m.
  • Oct. 14 – Fall Choir Concert – Melissa Arts Center (MAC) – 7 p.m.
  • Oct. 14 – JV football vs Anna – 7 p.m.
  • Oct. 15 – Varsity & JV Volleyball @ Anna – 4:30 & 6 p.m.
  • Oct. 15 – Varsity football @ Anna – 7:30 p.m.
  • Oct. 16 – Cardinal Autumn Classic (Speech & Debate only)
  • Oct. 17 – FCA – Fields of Faith @ Frisco Kykendall Stadium – 6 p.m.
  • Oct. 18 – Band Regional Marching Contest @ Celina – 7:15 p.m. – Click here for schedule
  • Oct. 18-22 – Homecoming Week:
    • Monday – Tacky Tourist Day
    • Tuesday – Decades Day (Seniors – 2000s, Juniors – 70s, Sophomores – 80s, Freshmen – 90s)
    • Wednesday – Jersey Day
    • Thursday – Country Western vs Country Club Day
    • Friday – Spirit Day
  • Oct. 20 – Homecoming Tailgate, Parade & Pep Rally – 5 & 6:30 p.m.
  • Oct. 22 – Homecoming Game & Coronation – 7:30 p.m.
  • Oct. 27 – Picture Retakes
  • Oct. 28 – SAT School Day

Quick Links