Drivers Ed classes offered at MHS

Saher Asifi, Editor

This school year, Melissa High School continues to offer driver’s courses for students. The instructor for the driving courses is Ronny Williams, who is the owner of Parkway Driving School. The courses include 32 hours of classroom instruction and seven hours of driving and observation. There are two times available for driver’s ed. These times are 6:15 to 8:15 a.m. and another available from 4:10 to 6:10 p.m. The most recent course began Sept. 29.

Students interested in attending the courses must make a deposit of $150.00 to start. To sign up for the driving courses, students must head to the front office, fill out a student enrollment contract form, and write their name on a signup sheet for one of the time options.

“I remember that I took the class two years ago,” junior Kari Cross said. “I was a freshman at that time, and I took the afternoon class, which took place after school.”

The instructor does not assign students specific times, and they can choose to sign up at whichever time is convenient for them. However, spots are limited.

“The morning class for driver’s ed is too early, but the afternoon class seems fit for most student schedules,” Cross said. “If students took the afternoon class, then it would be easier for them because they can head straight to their class instead of waking up earlier.”

Many students are involved in extracurricular activities and even work a part-time job.

“It shouldn’t be that hard for students to manage their time with driver’s ed class and extracurriculars,” Cross said. “I was able to manage it perfectly, and the class only took about one hour every day.”