Student Spotlight: Anna Blankenship

Senior serves as first female kicker

Ross James/Buzz Photos

Melissa Cardinals Kicker Anna Blankenship (48) converts the PAT during action, Friday, October 21 against the Ranchview Wolves.

Coleby Milam, Reporter

Senior Anna Blankenship is the first female to play on the Cardinal football team with her position as the backup varsity kicker (#48). She has been a Melissa Cardinal since she was in sixth grade.

This is her second and final year playing high school football and maybe even with college because she is looking to go to Southeastern Louisiana University and play soccer as the keeper/goalie.

What made Anna join football was all the coaches and friends just telling her to go and do it. With her curiosity piqued, she told herself why not and joined to help the team. So far this year she has not missed a single PAT (Point After Touchdown) or field goal and has contributed 28 points towards the team.

What makes the whole thing better about Anna playing football is that she grew up watching and always being around football in her home. In the beginning she never saw herself growing up to be able to step onto the field with her cleats and be a major part of the whole team.

“Sometimes football can be lonely being the only female on the team,” Anna said. “I don’t always know what is happening.”

Anna is a very important part of the team and will be needed for the rest of the season and will be known as the first female Cardinal to be a part of the football team.

Update 11-17-21: Check out this video interview from Brandid Sports posted on Twitter.