Coming Soon! New High School Campus

Carly Maisel, Reporter

Melissa I.S.D. has received the blue prints back for the new high school. The new school is going to be four stories high. Mr.Wooten says the new campus is going to be state of the art, and the building is completely glass. It will have a college feel that the students should enjoy.

The major change to the district other than the high school being built is all the schools will move up, and there is major talk about a new elementary school being built in the near future. When asked about the middle school Mr. Wooten stated “The new middle school location will be the current high school now.” Mr.Wooten is looking forward to the new high school. He stated ¨when you have something new it brings enthusiasm.¨

The current high school is too small for this growing town. The high school has 768 students in grades 9-12. Currently teachers’ classrooms are in portables. This is a struggle not only for students and teachers, but the parents too. Principal Wooten predicts 1200 students in 2018.

The new high school is scheduled to open in 2018. So the current sophomores and freshman will get to be there. The sophomore class of 2019 will be the first graduating class. Sophomore Skyla Mackey says she is very excited for the high school because it will be better to have a bigger campus and more space for the students. If Mackey could have one club it would be a better Spanish club!

*Updated blueprints have not been released to the public, however reporter Carly Maisel has seen them*