Mega Lunch Club Spotlight: The Puzzle Club

Students enjoy socializing while solving challenges

Freshmen Emma and Addison are engaged in their 1000 piece puzzle.

Erika Mathilde Rolland Hoiden, Reporter

MegaLunch offers students a good variety of social clubs that they can attend on a weekly basis and one such group is the Puzzle Club.

In the Puzzle Club students have fun playing games and completing puzzles. The club meets every Thursday during MegaLunch Session A to give students a break from the busy school week.

History teacher and dean Julie Wooten is the sponsor of the Puzzle Club. This is her third year representing the club and she said that one of her students took the initiative to start the group some years ago. Wooten liked the idea and the Puzzle Club was born. Over the years, the club has progressed from not only puzzles but to now include additional entertaining games.

“Today, the Puzzle Club is more than just puzzles, you can play Uno, do Rubik’s cubes, word search puzzles and more,“ Wooten said.

Freshmen Emma, Addison and Kennedy are regular attendees to the Puzzle Club. They are currently working on a 1,000 piece puzzle. Finishing a puzzle can take several weeks, as the club only meets once a week. The girls enjoy solving puzzles and spending time together. They find the activity relaxing, but Emma says it can also be frustrating at times.

“Spending too much time looking for a missing piece can be pretty stressful,” Emma said.

Junior Lennon Matthews appreciates the social and creative parts of the club. He likes to hang out in the classroom, playing jigsaw puzzles and talking to people.

“I like that new people will come all the time and try the club,” Lennon said. He recommends others try attending the club if they like to play games or simply want to hang out.

Students from all grade levels seem to enjoy the activities and feel of the Puzzle Club. Whether they enjoy focusing on a puzzle while listening to music or use it as an opportunity to socialize and play games, they make it work. Supplies are available in the classroom for everyone to use. The Puzzle Club meets every Thursday during A-lunch in room A307.