Melissa Basketball 2016: Preview of the Season

Jacob Fowler, Staff Writer

Basketball season is beginning here at Melissa High School, MHS, and the players are working hard to prepare for the fast approaching season. One player who is working hard is Jeremiah Hansen, a freshman at MHS. He went on to say, “We’re either going to be the Sixers or the Cavs. If I start, we’ll be the Cavs.” Basketball is a big sport here at Melissa and with a new head basketball coach, the players and coaches are going to have to work extra hard to gain a sense of unity.

The new coach, Eric Benton, is the head basketball coach at MHS and it’s his first year here. He has fairly similar coaching strategies to the former head basketball coach, Coach Sadler. To keep it simple, Coach Benton has the potential to do great things in the basketball program here at Melissa High School.

With Melissa growing very fast, many new basketball players are joining the team. This growth leads to the potential of very good players helping the team tremendously. Jasiah Barron, a freshman here at MHS said, “I’m excited for basketball season, I’ve been waiting for it since summer.”

By the looks of it, Melissa High School’s basketball program will most likely do very well. That is, if the players and coaches work hard in preparation and work well together. With so many new players with great potential and a great coaching staff, why shouldn’t the team have a fantastic season?