The student news site of Melissa High School

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Teacher Spotlight: Nic & Michelle Moore

Nic and Michelle Moore pose with their children for a Christmas card.

Two new additions to the high school staff this year are the husband and wife team of Nic and Michelle Moore. Coach Moore teaches kinesiology and coaches boys basketball while Mrs. Moore teaches honors English at the junior level.

Mrs. Moore attended college at Illinois State and received her bachelor’s degree in English Education. She then completed her master’s degree in Educational Administration from Texas A&M University-Commerce.

Nic Moore played basketball at Southern Methodist University in Texas, and for the last eight years, the couple lived in Italy, France, Poland and Portugal for Coach Moore’s professional basketball career. Before moving to Melissa, he received an offer to play in Germany; however, he declined, and together the Moores made some phone calls, packed a moving truck, and drove to Dallas, landing teaching positions at the high school.

“My college coach Larry Brown said ‘play it forward,’ so now it’s my time to coach kids and teach them the right way to play basketball,” Coach Moore said.

This is Nic Moore’s first year teaching; whereas, Mrs. Moore taught for several years in Illinois, Florida, and Texas before moving to Europe. She also taught English overseas for several years. Despite the difference in teaching experience, both teachers have found a teaching style that is most effective for them.

“Going away to college was just another move. Living in Europe the last 8 years definitely shaped my values and beliefs,” Coach Moore said. “Basketball allowed me to see the world, understand how others live, and figure out how my wife and I can translate those values into our own life.”

Michelle Moore adds, “ I believe in alignment, backwards planning, and purposeful lessons.”

Nic and MIchelle Moore have found a passion in teaching their students through their core values.

“More than anything, our students inspire us to teach,” Nic and Michelle Moore said. “We love working with students and encouraging them to believe in themselves.”

View Comments (1)