The student news site of Melissa High School

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Melissa Theatre begins production of annual UIL One Act Play

Korinne George

With a new year, Melissa Theatre begins its production of this year’s One Act Play. The three directors, Megan Moore, Kyle Brenner, and Aubrey Moore, have selected “This Girl Laughs, This Girl Cries, and This Girl Does Nothing” by Australian playwright Finegan Kruckemeyer.

The play tells the story of three young sisters abandoned in the woods by their father, forcing them to find their place in this world. Each sister splits up, looking for new beginnings, eventually circling back to each other as older women.

The three sisters, Albienne, Beatrix, and Carmen, are to be played by senior Bailey Thornburg (Albienne), junior Halle Heywood (Beatrix) and junior Avery Greene (Carmen).

“All the music in the show is student-led, and it’s really interesting to see all the different styles people have created,” senior Riley Thornburg said.

The students collaborated during rehearsals in order for the music to be better incorporated into the show. Students such as junior Logan Venner and senior Emerson Trevino have composed multiple compositions to be used throughout the show.

“There’s a lot of ensemble movement throughout the show, and it’s important for everyone to work together for everything to flow,” senior Hudson Ross said.

Melissa Theatre has a history of competing with a heavy ensemble, including state-qualifying shows such as “The Lost Boy” and “The Old Man and the Old Moon.”

Melissa Theatre will host this year’s district contest on March 2, where they will perform “This Girl Laughs, This Girl Cries, and This Girl Does Nothing.”