The student news site of Melissa High School

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Connection

Cardinal Brief: April 22-26

Jayden Ruiz
Junior Mack Harris competes in the shot put at the Melissa Special Olympics Track Meet held April 12 at Cardinal Stadium.

Cardinal Update

• SOFTBALL PLAYOFFS: Congratulations to the varsity softball team for advancing to the state playoffs! The Lady Cards are co-district champs (along with Lovejoy) and will play Ennis for bi-district on Thursday, April 25, at 6:30 p.m. at Forney High School.
  • STATE TRACK QUALIFIERS: Congratulations to two seniors who qualified for the 5A State Track Meet, which will be held May 3-4 in Austin. Lincoln Dunn was named regional champion in the 100m dash, and Logan Tauch was named regional champion in BOTH the 1600m run and 3200m run, AND Logan set a NEW 5A regional record in the 3200m and new PR’s in BOTH events! Way to go, Cardinals, and good luck at State!
  • FAFSA GRADUATION REQUIREMENT: All seniors must show proof of submitting the FAFSA (screenshot of confirmation email) OR complete an Opt-Out Form. This needs to be done ASAP.
  • SPRING GAME SHIRTS: Spring Game Shirts are now for sale through April 30. The shirt design matches the new Cardinal helmet design. Click HERE to order online.
  • SPRING GAME DAY: The Melissa Cardinals return to the field for Spring Game Day on Saturday, May 10, in preparation for the upcoming football season. The game is FREE to attend. Gates open at 7:30 p.m. at Coach Kenny Deel Stadium with community tailgating starting at 5:30 p.m. Students in Pre-K through 5th grade can participate in the ultimate “Game Day Experience” with a varsity football player or cheerleader. A limited number of spots are available. For more information, visit www.melissaisd.org/gameday.
  • DRIVER’S ED: The sign up sheet for the next driver’s ed class is now available in the front office. The next class begins May 13.
  • COLLEGE READINESS: The Melissa HS Counseling Department has partnered with The Princeton Review to host a series of online presentations on College Readiness hot topics. Students may find the registration links on the MHS College and Career webpage under the Helpful Links for Postsecondary Planning section. The next presentation will be “Study Skills 101” on April 25 at 6 p.m. The deadline to register is April 23.
  • 2024-25 COURSE REQUESTS: Students and guardians can now view course requests for the 2024-25 school year in HAC. Click here for more information. Students wanting to make a change must complete the MHS Course Change Request Form by May 10 at 4 p.m.
  • FINAL EXAMS: Spring semester exams will be given to 9th-11th grade students the last week of school, May 24-30. Click HERE for more information and the schedule.
  • CARDINAL CAMPS: Melissa ISD offers a variety of sports and fine arts camps during the summer break from school. Cardinal Camps are led by the coaching staff of Melissa High School. Click HERE to learn more and register for a camp.
  • DIGITAL SAT ESSENTIALS COURSE: MHS has partnered with The Princeton Review to offer a Digital SAT Essentials Course, which runs July 13-Aug. 20 on Tuesdays from 5-8 p.m. Click HERE for more info. 
  • IB INSIGHTS: The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP), coming in the Fall of 2025, is more than just an academic curriculum programme. The  “Core” consists of three components that aim to foster intellectual, personal, emotional, and social growth in students. These components are:
    1. Theory of Knowledge (TOK): TOK explores the nature of knowledge and how we acquire, interpret, and evaluate it. It encourages students to question the assumptions underlying different areas of knowledge and to consider the implications of knowledge across disciplines.
    2. Extended Essay (EE): The Extended Essay is a 4000 word research project that allows students to investigate a topic of interest in depth. It provides an opportunity for independent research and the development of critical thinking, research, and communication skills.
    3. Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS): CAS involves students in a range of experiences outside the classroom that promote personal and interpersonal development. This can include creative pursuits, physical activities, and service to the community. CAS encourages students to become active, compassionate, and lifelong learners.

Upcoming Events

• April 22 – US History EOC Exam
  • April 22 – JV & Varsity Baseball @ McKinney North – 4:30 & 7:30 p.m.
  • April 22 – Freshman Baseball vs McKinney North – 5:30 & 6:45 p.m.
  • April 24 – Varsity Tennis District Tournament @ Lovejoy
  • April 25 – Algebra I EOC Exam
  • April 25 – Varsity Softball Bi-District Playoff Game vs Ennis @ Forney HS – 6:30 p.m.
  • April 26-27 – Regional Academic UIL & OAP – UT-Arlington
  • April 26 – JV & Varsity Baseball vs McKinney North – 4:15 p.m. – Varsity on Williams field; JV on Big Red field
  • April 26-27 – State VASE (Art) Contest – San Marcos HS
  • April 26-27 – Academic UIL Regional Meet @ UT-Arlington
  • April 27 – One Act Play Regional Contest @ Arlington ISD PAC
  • April 29 – Academic Banquet – Student Union – 6 p.m.

Quick Links