Grease is the Word

Melissa High School Presents First Musical

Katy Belanger, Editor

Melissa High School’s theatre department will put on their very first musical, Grease. This show will open Nov. 2 in the black box. With this being the first musical, all eyes are on directors, Megan Moore and Kyle Brenner, and the cast not to disappoint. Megan Moore, Melissa High School’s theatre director, states, “I knew presenting a large scale musical would be one of the best ways to grow the program and showoff our incredibly talented students. There are so many elements that go into a major production like Grease. It has been a huge undertaking, but I have seen the entire Melissa Theatre department grow and thrive throughout the process.”

Not only is Melissa’s first musical a huge step, they are performing a beloved classic, Grease. Grease is a teen romance based in the 50s, and it has captured the hearts of all ages. You will find everyone’s favorite songs including, Summer Lovin, We Go Together and Greased Lightning.

Some may say that this show displays inappropriate themes, however, the theatre department has taken cautious measures to make this show family friendly while keeping the same story lines. Molly Kennedy, starring as lead role Sandy, states, “It is very cleaned up from the movie, but we still allude to some more adult themes without flat out saying it.” Since the show will be performed in the black box, you will feel as though you were in the show dancing and singing along with the cast. To see this show, tickets can be purchased for $15 each through Megan Moore or any of the cast members. Their performance dates include Nov. 3, 12, 13, 15 and 18. Kennedy states, “The show is going to be really good. I can’t wait to share what we’ve been working on!”