Academic UIL team wins district championship

Rachel Nelson

Juniors Abigail Chaloupka and Rozleyn Brown practice for UIL News Writing.

Lindsay Anderson, Reporter

On March 26, the 4A District 9 Academic UIL Meet was held at Melissa High School with seven different schools competing. Melissa won the district championship title with 556 points total, surpassing the second-place school, Aubrey, by 192 points.

Students placing within the top three of their events will advance to the regional meet, which will be held at Texas A&M in Commerce on Saturday, April 23. Any students that place in the top three at regionals will advance to the state meet in May.

First place awards were given to the following students: Tyler Mathieson in Computer Applications, Sam Call in Computer Science, Miranda Sirota in Editorial Writing, Kolby Schulz in Feature Writing and Headline Writing, Chau Hua in Lincoln Douglas Debate, Abigail Chaloupka in News Writing, Maddie Pickett in Persuasive Speaking, Logan Lowery in Poetry Interpretation, and Halle Heywood in Prose Interpretation.

Students earning second place awards were the following: Ethan Hudgins in Accounting, Daria Stepanova in Computer Science, Steve Bui in Computer Science, Chloe Walton in Feature Writing, Rozleyn Brown in Headline Writing and News Writing, Flida Etchouekang in Informative Speaking, Josh Fine in Lincoln Douglas Debate, Hanna Zebari in Persuasive Speaking, and Kolby Schulz in Ready Writing.

Students awarded third place medals included Kolby Schulz in Copy Editing, Jonah Counce in Computer Science, Miranda Sirota in Feature Writing, Sarah Orejuela in Informative Speaking, Carson Butler in Lincoln Douglas Debate, Lindsay Anderson in News Writing, Brinley Smith in Persuasive Speaking, Mattie McGrady in Poetry Interpretation, Macayla Brown in Prose Interpretation, and Sam Call in Science.

Lastly, the following students were awarded fourth, fifth, and sixth place in their events: Sharon Odhiambo placed sixth in Current Issues, Ira Roy placed in Computer Applications, Lindsay Anderson placed fifth in Copy Editing, Aaron Lester placed fourth in Computer Science, Abigail Chaloupka placed sixth in Headline Writing, and Emerson Trevino placed fifth in Science.