Four compete at state, junior sets new course record

Madeline Kuehler
After being awarded his medal, Judson Greer (11), waits to be recognized.

Abbie Chaloupka, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On Nov. 9, senior Alison Kocsis, freshman Abigail Bass, junior Judson Greer, and junior Lucas Tauch competed at the state level at Old Settlers Park in Round Rock, marking the end of the season.

In the women’s 3200m run, Abigail scored 12th in the state with a time of 11:54, and Allison got 80th in the state with the time of 12:56.

In the men’s 5k run, Lucas placed 59th in the state with the time of 16:38. Judson beat his course record from last year with a time of 14:34 and was named the 4A boys’ champion.

“At state I was able to win the 4A state title in a time of 14:34 for 5k,” Judson said. “This was a personal best for me and broke my 4A classification record that I set last year. I was very happy with how the race went.”

There are many emotions about the season being over. Furthermore, it was Alison’s last cross country season of her high school career.

“My last season as a senior was fun! I did not have the best season time wise, but it was fun,” Alison said. “I feel sad but also ready to start training for half marathons.”

The athletes will take a short break to recover and then start to prepare for the 2020 track season.

“I will change my training style and focus on my race strategy, to perform the best I can,” Lucas said.

Runners have high hopes for the next cross country season and for future races.

“I think next season will give much better results as we continue to grow as a team and individually,” Abigail said.