Senior Grace Moothart signs to play with Austin College, girls district basketball begins Dec. 14

Alexis Ware

Senior Grace Moothart signs to play basketball at Austin College next year.

Victor Vela, Reporter

The Lady Cards are headed into district play against Anna tonight after wrapping up their pre-district games and tournament play. With a record of 7-9, they are hoping to turn things around with the leadership of senior Grace Moothart and her impressive ball skills.

Moothart (#10), who missed most of last year’s season due to an injury, just recently signed with Austin College to play basketball at the collegiate level next year. She tells her journey through high school with her ups and downs before her signing.

“I have been working towards my goal to play collegiate basketball for the past ten years of my life,” Grace said. “This dream was made a reality the Monday we came back from break when I signed with Austin College. It was great to make my commitment official, but the people there supporting me were even better. The room was packed with the most influential people throughout my life–my family, some of the greatest coaches, important teachers and administrators, the most supportive Lady Cardinal parents, and my best friends. I will remember my signing day forever and the people who helped get me to where I am today. I am excited for the next four years at AC! GO, ROOS!”

Her skills gave her a chance at college ball, but on her journey to her signing she suffered stress fractures in both her shins, which took her out of most of the 2020-2021 season. Grace shares the court with her fellow Lady Cards helping and being a team with one another.

“The girls’ varsity basketball team has started the season off well,” she said. “We are a young team and also a very new team, so the past few weeks have been full of learning how to play more connected with each other. We have just entered the tournament portion of our schedule, which is full of competition. This is the last push until district play starts, and we’re ready for it!”

While the JV revs up for their season and their new challenges, junior Flida Etchouekang who is new to Melissa, explains how their hard work will take them far.

“The JV team and I have been hard at work to get ready and in shape for the upcoming basketball season,” Florida said. “We have been able to learn each other’s strengths and also the weaknesses that we can work on as a team to beat our future opponents. I am so hyped for all the games to come and know that the Melissa Cardinals basketball team is going to dominate this season!”