Bass fishing team qualifies for state tournament

Leslie Wistl

MHS Bass Fishing Team State Qualifiers Aiden Crawford, junior, and Camden Sarrett, freshman, pose for a photo with their captain Kyle Robinson. The group will compete at the state tournament in May.

Victor Vela, Reporter

Bass fishing team members Aiden Crawford, junior, and Camden Sarrett, freshman, qualified for the Texas High School Bass Association’s (THSBA) State Championship at Belton Lake on May 14-15. They will compete with their captain Kyle Robinson.

Overall, Melissa placed ninth out of 38 schools in the North Texas division. Out of 211 boats between all 38 schools, seniors Mason Wistl and Thomas Baxley finished in 12th place.

Five teams qualified to compete at the regional tournament held on April 9 at Lake Texoma:

• Mason Wistl & Thomas Baxley
  • Camden Sarrett & Aiden Crawford
  • Cris Saenz III & Chance Cabana
  • Hayden Solomon & Grant Fratt
  • Andrew Waters & Caden Brinlee

Sophomore Hayden Solomon has been fishing for two years due to his love of the sport. He joined competitive fishing after getting hooked (no pun intended), so he could display his skills and talent to compete for Melissa. Some advice that Hayden offers other students:

“Always have multiple plans and things to try and it’s not over till it’s over,” he said.