Mega Lunch to start as soon as students form enough clubs

MHS Student Media

Students assemble puzzles during a Mega Lunch club during the 2021-22 school year.

Kimora Castleberry, Reporter

Mega Lunch is one thing new and returning students at MHS look forward to. Many students would say this is their favorite part of the day. They enjoy going to fun clubs during this time period and enjoy being able to spend time with their friends.

Students were asked what their favorite part of the extended lunch break was.

“Being able to talk and get closer to all [his] friends,” senior Jacob Fields said.

For those that might not know, Mega Lunch is an hour-long lunch period that is split into two 30-minute halves. Students are able to enjoy lunch as well as attend clubs or tutorials to catch up on work they may have missed or need a little assistance on.

“I didn’t have time to do before or after school tutorials, so being able to go during lunch was easy and a much more efficient way to get caught up on my work,” said alumnus Parrish Adger.

Unfortunately, Mega Lunch can’t begin without enough clubs or organizations for a student body of over 1,500. Around 60 student-led clubs need to be formed. So far, organizations like Student Council, National Honor Society, and Melissa Golf will meet on a weekly basis. In addition, there are some returning clubs from previous years such as the Gaming, Jewelry, and Uno.

Over the announcements, Principal Kenneth Wooten explained what needed to be done in order to start Mega Lunch.

“As of September 12, we have about 40 approved clubs,” Wooten said. “However, we still need approximately 15 more clubs in order to build the schedule.”

To create a club all students have to do is think of an idea that they believe others would enjoy. Students can then go to the front office, located on the first floor, to get a request form to fill out so that it may be approved.

“Creating a club was fun and easy, and this also helped get mega lunch started …it was fun,” junior Kaityln Johnson, previous Jewelry Making Club President said.

Students and teachers are ready for the extended lunch break to begin.

“I’m excited to start Mega Lunch,” sophomore Jaleena Avery said. “This is something I have never experienced before.”