Pitzer named interim head of English department

Brianne Finnell

Coach Pitzer inspires students inside and outside of class.

Josiah Berkland

Coach Kelley Pitzer was named the acting head of the English department and started 

the second semester replacing  Jennifer Cowgill.

School officials said the English department movement has benefits supporting smaller classes, students and English teachers. Cowgill was added as one of the English teachers teaching at a junior level there are more English classes to split up the larger classes.  With an average of 30 students in ELAR, this move will better support student numbers and create smaller class sizes. 

Pitzer said he hopes the opportunity will benefit the department and support his growth.

“I feel the change would be exciting, a new opportunity to grow in my field, and assist in becoming a better leader and educator,” Pitzer said.

Pitzer said the department looks to continue improving and supporting students in their learning. “We have a great English department with skilled teachers. Therefore, we will all continue to do our jobs well and look to improve with every opportunity,” Pitzer said.

Pitzer is ready to face this day to day challenge of taking the role of the head of the English department. “I would say the one thing I am most looking forward to is challenging myself every day strive to take on this position to the best of my ability.”

Stepping up to this big role in the middle of the year will not be a problem for Coach Pitzer because he knows he has people to help and support him.

“Stepping in during the middle of the year is always difficult in any role, but I feel I am up for the challenge and I feel the support of the other department chairs and deans will help me through any struggles I may have in the future,” Pitzer said.

English teacher Cambria Alford thinks these classes with larger numbers of junior students and she says that will support students and the department. These actions should be taking place soon do to the start of the third nine weeks of the school year.